Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 08:12 AM

Default Re: I need to play more hands

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
niediam, as we've discussed many times before, it's okay to vary from sshe

[/ QUOTE ]

But you need to have a reason why and be able to explain why you are right and why Miller is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, Miller stated on these forums several times that the preflop advice was the most debateable part of the book, and that the hand chatrts were only inserted because the publishers felt that readers would feel cheated if they didn't get a cookbook cheat sheet for how to play preflop. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2007, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to spark the hating... I haven't read SSHE in over a year and my copy is in the states, but 1 raise + 3 cold callers = 4 peoples, plus me, = 5 players no? And also the BB is gonna come along pretty much all the time (absolutely all the time in my game but in general most of the time yes?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there is any hating going on... or atleast I hope not.

But you should definately consider how likely it is for others behind you to come along.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
niediam, as we've discussed many times before, it's okay to vary from sshe

[/ QUOTE ]

But you need to have a reason why and be able to explain why you are right and why Miller is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, Miller stated on these forums several times that the preflop advice was the most debateable part of the book, and that the hand chatrts were only inserted because the publishers felt that readers would feel cheated if they didn't get a cookbook cheat sheet for how to play preflop. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the preflop section is very good. I don't it really matters if you decide to play JTo in MP3 even though the chart says to start playing it in the CO or whatever...
Old 11-07-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SSH says that in order to coldcall with a small pocket pair there should be five players in (or you anticipate there will be that many).

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop and think folks. It's a simple problem. You are 8:1 to hit your set - can you make up that money based on your preflop cost, or not? The number of preflop players matters, but only indirectly. What matters is your cost and your implied odds. If the play is aggressive preflop and more passive postflop, that's a worst case scenario (e.g. paying $8 to see a flop with 3 opponents who are going to try to check it down, or just call you down, postflop.) On the other hand if you get in for $4 preflop and there's lots of postflop maneuvering and raising and fireworks, then you're just fine.

In a nutshell, relative preflop passivity and relative postflop aggressiveness constitutes a best case scenario, and then fewer players preflop are acceptable.

Look at cost and implied odds, not number of players alone.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:04 PM

Also look at at how strong your own post flop play is.