Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2006, 11:51 PM

Default Re: New Video Card, but Games not Working!

I have the PCI-E version, which doesn't have the extra power thing for whatever reason. It would make me feel pretty stupid if I didn't catch that though. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2006, 03:06 AM

Here are some questions
1. Have you tried reinstalling directx ? If not it can't hurt even if the dxdiag says it is installed properly, since you said the test are failing.

2. The old card had to be a PCI-E card correct? Was it a nVidia for an nVidia swap? Or was the old card an ATI card or something?

If the old card is also nVidia, just swap them out again, don't bother with doing anything with the drivers, they are universal. If the old nVidia card works fine, then it is either a weak power supply or a bad card. I would actually lean toward a bad card, because the original card being a PCI-E card, the power requirements were probably the same. If after putting the old card back in you continue to get crashes, I would then lean toward the power supply going out on you. Also if you removed the memory for some reason while installing this card, I would make sure they are pushed in firmly. If you have more then one stick of memory, I would remove them till one is by itself to check if your stability returns, and try each one. Lastly if it is possible I would try the card in another computer, one that has a nVidia card, just swap them and see if it works in the other computer. If all else fails, the card is probably bad.

If the old card was an ATI card, google for a driver remover, or directions on how to completely remove the old drivers. This will help you if it was an ATI card.

That's all I can think of for right now, good luck.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have the PCI-E version, which doesn't have the extra power thing for whatever reason. It would make me feel pretty stupid if I didn't catch that though. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you 100% sure? I don't think a 6800 can run properly without the extra power supply, the processor + memory can't draw enough power from the PCIe slot. I see no reason why this card would be an exception. It's very, very, very likely that this is your problem.

There is a tiny slot at the end of the card for plugging directly into the power supply. Once you find it (a small clump of pins), there should be loose cabling attached to the power supply that you can plug in.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:00 AM

The pics on Newegg show many 6800 without the power connector, specifically the 6800 with no defining letters after the 6800. It is not that it is PCI-E, just the version of 6800.
DQ
Old 03-19-2006, 04:30 PM

This is the card that I got. I'm gonna go to TigerDirect tomorrow and buy a $20, 450watt psu. I cannot think of anything that could be causing what is happening besides the psu.

DirectX was not working because I installed the wrong drivers [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], apparently XP and Media Center drivers are THAT different. The tests weren't working WELL though, they would crash in the middle, a lot like the games.

Before this NVidia card, the computer had the on-board ATI Express X200. I didn't uninstall the driver, but I could not find any mention of the old ATI card once I installed the NVIDIA card, so I am going to assume that it is not a problem.

Thanks for all of your help guys. I appreciate it.