Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2006, 02:57 AM

Default Learned the lesson of playing when tired

I usually play 1-table SNG's at different sites. I am happy with my results so far. Yesterday however I commited the mistake of playing while I was tired. Needless to say, out of 9 SNG's I didn't place ITM once.
The interesting thing is that I know that due to variance, this is possible and everyone goes thru something like this. Nevertheless, what hurts me is that I noticed that I was doing things that I never do if not tired. I was doing plays that I consider really dumb.
When I play rested, I feel good. Even if I loose a game, it won't bother me if I played at a satisfying level. What bothered me about yesterday is that I could clearly realize that I was playing below my normal level and instead of just admitting to myself that I was tired and going to sleep, I kept playing.
Maybe something somethig similar has happened to some of you guys. So in the future, if I feel tired, I will not be playing.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Learned the lesson of playing when tired

you fixed the problem quickly and that's good.
To beat the game you have to make better decisions than your opponents. If your mental capabilities aren't functioning properly, then you can't make as many good decisions. All your theoretical profit is gone and you're just gambling.

How drastic the effect of being tired (or emotionally distubed) is is up for debate, but it's definitely significant when our actual edge in this game is so unbelievably small. I remember playing tired once and it felt like I was watching a fish from third person, making decision after decision to which i would ask "why the hell did i do that?"... i went to bed 20 minutes later.

p.s. the word you're looking for is "lose" not "loose"