Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 09:33 PM

Default Re: What About Mukasy\'s Position on Waterboarding?

When your sister can't get out of NYC and Mohammed el-dirtbag knows where the dirty bomb is, if you tell me then that its still wrong to torture i'll believe you all.

Till you have a personal stake in it you don't have a clue what your real philosophy is.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When your sister can't get out of NYC and Mohammed el-dirtbag knows where the dirty bomb is, if you tell me then that its still wrong to torture i'll believe you all.

Till you have a personal stake in it you don't have a clue what your real philosophy is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, ok.

Well, if that's the case, I vote we use jumper cables, a vice, and two pairs of channel locks.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're working on the assumption that torture actually works.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When your sister can't get out of NYC because Mohammed el-dirtbags brother was tortured or because the CIA is acting under faulty information that they got because they put too much stock in torture, or [insert other arguments against torture]....get the point? As long as you claim my sister is going to be killed if I dont do it, I automatically win any argument. Stop torture now or my sister will be killed! Raise taxes or my sister will be killed! Legalize marijuana or my sister will be killed!

It sort of loses its impact on people who arent mouthbreathing morons, ya know?
Old 11-07-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This type of scenario is presented in political debates and I think it’s the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Here is the problem with this from a logic standpoint. The dudes who set up a bomb probably spent months if not years planning the attack. Their lives revolved around this goal. Are you telling me that someone who is this driven will actually tell the truth and screw up all of his work because he gets a little beaten up? I think not. I can’t imagine torture working at all against people who don’t seem to care about their lives very much.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:13 PM

Are interrogations supposed to be pleasant?

How do you personally know if waterboarding has been effective in foiling terror attacks? As far as I know, John McCain doesn't interrogate captured jihadists.

Waterboarding doesn't cause physical harm. Just scares the hell out of you. If a terrorist has bad dreams because of it, I'm fine with that. Though I think it's more likely his dreams would be haunted by the innocent people he has killed.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:40 PM

why don't we torture suspected criminals? I mean, they might kill someone.

we can torture to save thousands, but not to save one or a few?

if it can possibly save a life, how can we not torture?
Old 11-07-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why don't we torture suspected criminals? I mean, they might kill someone.

we can torture to save thousands, but not to save one or a few?

if it can possibly save a life, how can we not torture?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because criminals have a right to a lawyer and their lawyers wouldn't stand for such a tactic? Which brings up the inevitable questions about the legal status of enemy combatents. I think this is an issue that is more important than the issue of waterboarding. Perhaps Mukasy was questioned about the legal status of the detainees at places like gitmo in the hearings. If so the Senators that opposed his nomination seemed to be ok with his answers. If not those same Senators IMO aren't concerned about what's really important regarding the new AG.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because criminals have a right to a lawyer and their lawyers wouldn't stand for such a tactic?

[/ QUOTE ]

so you're saying lawyers are aiding the terrorists. I agree. as part of the war on terror we have to (and have) give up certain rights, and the right to a lawyer seems to be the main one we have to give up next.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because criminals have a right to a lawyer and their lawyers wouldn't stand for such a tactic?

[/ QUOTE ]

so you're saying lawyers are aiding the terrorists.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope didn't say that at all.

[ QUOTE ]
I agree. as part of the war on terror we have to (and have) give up certain rights, and the right to a lawyer seems to be the main one we have to give up next.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does an enemy combatant captured in Afghanistan have the same rights in the U.S. as a U.S. citizen? No U.S. citizens needn't give up the right to a lawyer or other rights. I'm not even implying that.

Again we're getting into the legal status of enemy combatants. Unless I missed something that's something Congress hasn't asked Mukasy too much about yet.