Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2006, 08:29 PM

Default Re: PSP - Worth it?

I'm looking at getting a portable dvd player for flights and crap...movies for the PSP are 3x or 4x more expensive than DVDs, worse quality, can't play in other players, and I already have a DVD collection...are the games worth it?
Old 01-03-2006, 08:33 PM

you can put a DVD on a memory stick too.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really wanna go through my whole collection and rip/copy it all onto memory sticks and it will not play at UMD quality according to CNet...
Old 01-03-2006, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really wanna go through my whole collection and rip/copy it all onto memory sticks and it will not play at UMD quality according to CNet...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention that if you somehow squish a DVD into an AFFORDABLE memory stick, the quality is gonna make CAM look like HDTV.

Just get a media player, and use your PS2 to play all of the PSP remakes.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:57 PM

Get an ipod video for music and movies, and a DS for gaming. It wil be more expensive than buying a PSP but well worth it.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:36 PM

shakingspear,

it's really dependent on how often you have time or the inclination to use it. If you're looking for games, it's probably not the best device in the world. The only two I play are GTA:Liberty City Stories and Lumines. Sadly, I don't ever really have the time or the inclination to play either anymore. When I'm at home I've got TV and the PS2 to keep me company (oh, and the ridiculous amounts of time I now spend on OOT). When I'm on the road I'm usually the one driving. And for music, and iPod beats the pants off the PSP.

If you're the type of person that could sit at home and play the PSP without turning on other types of entertainment then I'd say go for it. Otherwise, there are probably other, cheaper devices that would suit you better. It is one hell of a gadget, though.

Pros: Crystal clear screen, a few great games (see above), plays movies and mp3's if you need a player.

Cons: A bit too bulky for a "true portable" like the GBA:SP, short battery life, ridiculously expensive movies, not a lot of game titles yet.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:37 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

Cant u download games on psp's and emulators and stuff? i dont have one but i thought thats wat my friend did or something, would be worth it to get a psp if u could download games.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:46 PM

If you have 2.0 firmware or below you can roll back your firmware revision. From there, it's an easy matter to download and install emulators/roms for just about any older platform you can think of: Nintendo, SNES, Gameboy, GBA, etc.

I found that to be less entertaining than I had hoped, since it was more or a novelty than anything. Excitebike is really cool game, until you realize it's 2006 and you've got a Wipeout Pure UMD in your pocket.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:34 PM

Haha, yeah, Ihave 20,000 NES, SNES and Genesis games on my computer and looking through all the games, I might play 30 of them if that for a while.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking at getting a portable dvd player for flights and crap...movies for the PSP are 3x or 4x more expensive than DVDs, worse quality, can't play in other players, and I already have a DVD collection...are the games worth it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider a Pocket PC. If you want to rip DVDs and play games, it will do both for about what a PSP will cost.