Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you have changed your beliefs, has your profession had anything to do with it?
YES 2 8.00%
NO 18 72.00%
I HAVE NOT CHANGED MY BELIEFS 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Stiffing

[ QUOTE ]
the alternative is paying more in food costs, and getting very [censored] service.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it's not. Prices and wages are reasonable, and service is OK, in countries without retarded tipping culture (which is pretty much the whole western world except the US).

That said, the culture being there in the US, not tipping at all is despicable if service is anything else than horrible.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:39 PM

I'd be curious as to a poll of how many Americans say they regularly or semi-regularly don't tip if they don't think it was worth it.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be curious as to a poll of how many Americans say they regularly or semi-regularly don't tip if they don't think it was worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does worth it mean?

"I'm never coming back here, so I won't get any return on my post-meal tip. Thus, I won't tip."

"Ah-ha! The rest of my party has left, so I can not tip and save a few bucks and the "minions" will never know!"

She doesn't work for me she works for the restaurant, they can pay her!

or

Service was bad
Old 11-06-2007, 01:44 PM

Whatever their definition of "worth it" is. That's open to interpretation. I'm mainly just curious to see how many people and how often they don't tip. I guess a flat % rate from various restaurants of people not tipping / leaving a tip 5% or under or something would suffice.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever their definition of "worth it" is. That's open to interpretation. I'm mainly just curious to see how many people and how often they don't tip. I guess a flat % rate from various restaurants of people not tipping / leaving a tip 5% or under or something would suffice.

[/ QUOTE ]

from working in restaurants, i have gone literally months without seeing someone get stiffed without a major complaint about service. nobody does it. not tipping = being a jerk, period.

there is an implied contract between you and the server when you come in and order from them. i'm sure you'll respond by saying 'well it's not a legally binding contract' or whatever, but the bottom line is you are operating in bad faith and are a douche.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your point is invalid, oddjob, because you should expect people to fight vitriol with vitriol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did it take me this long to add you to my ignore list?

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it when people add me to their ignore list, because it's way better than them whining illogically and incessantly about me, but I'm curious: why do people who do this (and even on AIM -- "blocked" and etc.) always have to let the person know they did? Attention? To let me congratulate you? I mean, if I'm that bad, why wouldn't you just ignore me and be on with it? I'd figure that's what a bigger man would do.

I guess someone who doesn't have me ignored can explain this. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

from working in restaurants, i have gone literally months without seeing someone get stiffed without a major complaint about service. nobody does it. not tipping = being a jerk, period.

there is an implied contract between you and the server when you come in and order from them. i'm sure you'll respond by saying 'well it's not a legally binding contract' or whatever, but the bottom line is you are operating in bad faith and are a douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is you're simply making generic descriptions of actions with no explanation. "Don't tip = [censored]." Okay. That kind of thinking has never bothered me and never will. Don't like my reasons? Then point out the logical flaw. Can't? Agree to disagree. Interpret one reasoned action as a indictment of my character because... um, why again?

Here are the reasons I've gathered:

-- Because everyone does it.
-- Because in America you're supposed to and that's why you go out to eat.
-- Because they don't get paid well.

Does that cover all the bases? Well, fine: I don't care about any of those reasons. Those reasons have no bearing on my own decision-making process. My standard is simple: live up to my expectations when I go out to eat and you will be greatly rewarded. Disagree with my expectations? Something else entirely. Since my expectations are so rarely met, I intentionally tip big when they are met to reward them. If not, I never go back there again and I don't tip. If that's such a gross "miserly" conduct, I will somehow manage to live with myself.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The problem is you're simply making generic descriptions of actions with no explanation. "Don't tip = [censored]." Okay. That kind of thinking has never bothered me and never will. Don't like my reasons? Then point out the logical flaw. Can't? Agree to disagree. Interpret one reasoned action as a indictment of my character because... um, why again?

[/ QUOTE ]

i already gave you a reason. there is an implied contract between you and the server that you will tip. it is customary to do so. you are receiving services in bad faith when you go in and say "live up to my random and unreasonable expectations and i will shower you with gifts." you know that the person is going to provide you a basic service with the expected return of a small cost, and you refuse to pay it.

[ QUOTE ]
Since my expectations are so rarely met, I intentionally tip big when they are met to reward them. If not, I never go back there again and I don't tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

so basically, you either go out to eat extremely rarely, or you live somewhere you can hit-and-run on servers until they forget you and you can slither back in. if there's nothing wrong with not tipping, why don't you go back there? or better yet, if almost every restaurant you go to fails to meet your expectations, why do you keep going out?

because your story is just a cover for the fact that you're an antisocial cheapskate. or you're simply trolling/lying, another strong possibility.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the alternative is paying more in food costs, and getting very [censored] service.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it's not. Prices and wages are reasonable, and service is OK, in countries without retarded tipping culture (which is pretty much the whole western world except the US).

That said, the culture being there in the US, not tipping at all is despicable if service is anything else than horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience is limited to the UK and the US, but restaurant service, food and prices are VASTLY superior in the US. Most people in the UK that had traveled here agreed. I assume this is because of our tipping culture. I had some very bad experiences in expensive places in the UK.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience is limited to the UK and the US, but restaurant service, food and prices are VASTLY superior in the US. Most people in the UK that had traveled here agreed. I assume this is because of our tipping culture. I had some very bad experiences in expensive places in the UK.

[/ QUOTE ]
Everything in the UK is crazy expensive, not just restaurants/bars.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Everything in the UK is crazy expensive, not just restaurants/bars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but why is the service so terrible?