Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 09:26 AM

Default Re: My first hand post, feedback on my play greatly appreciated.

I just remember seeing too many people doing stuff like this with hands like a flush draw, horribly played overpair, Q with crappy kicker, random two-pair etc. for flat-calling the checkraise to be a good default play. If you have no other read on the Villian the fact he min-checkraises the river is an indication he's bad. You'll definitely find that you're beat some of the time but a push is still +EV against a NL10 unknown I think. When you get a read (and you should try to observe and make notes obviously), then by all means adjust your play. And welcome to the forums - if you havn't looked already there is some very good material in the micro sticky thread and also in the small stakes one.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:27 AM

BET BET BET...At 10NL small bets are losing money..
Old 11-06-2007, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just remember seeing too many people doing stuff like this with hands like a flush draw, horribly played overpair, Q with crappy kicker, random two-pair etc. for flat-calling the checkraise to be a good default play. If you have no other read on the Villian the fact he min-checkraises the river is an indication he's bad. You'll definitely find that you're beat some of the time but a push is still +EV against a NL10 unknown I think. When you get a read (and you should try to observe and make notes obviously), then by all means adjust your play. And welcome to the forums - if you havn't looked already there is some very good material in the micro sticky thread and also in the small stakes one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been trying to read those. And there're so much lingo here it's like learning a new language. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

One quick question: from all the replies, I take it that shoving here is chiefly due to the fact that so many new players are at the 10NL tables and most have no idea what's going on. Is shoving still generally the appropriate play here as you move up levels and typically face much more informed opponents?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:55 AM

No, if your opponent was competent shoving would be bad. The logic behind shoving for value in this hand is only the assumption that he's probably a terrible player, which is a reasonable assumption I think. But the river check-minraise is not a play you'll see often at any level I think. I know that it's extremely unusual at anything from NL50-200. At lower levels I'd assume it's a random thing that bad players do for reasons only apparent to themselves. At higher levels people probably do it occasionally as part of mind games or some tricky line that there's no need to worry about until ABC play doesn't cut it or you're at a table with a bunch of sophisticated players in which case your game selection really is horrible and you should leave. From 50-200NL you'll find that players arn't bad enough to be randomly check-minraising the river and arn't imaginative enough to be using it as a logical part of their game. That's my speculation on it anyway.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:05 AM

.7 on flop, 1.5 on turn, 2.5 on river, shove over minraise. Don't be results oriented, this bs happens all the time at 10nl.

He thinks his random like Q2 is the nuts the whole way, and he just got lucky hitting it on the river or w/e.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:26 AM

The raise pre-flop seems fine, I'm not a massive fan of SC's OOP but KQs is pretty strong, so fine.

I'd probably have bet bigger on the flop? Maybe 2/3 or 3/4 of the pot. I think at this level, if they're going to call 2/5th of the pot, they'll call 2/3 or 3/4. Top set is a big hand so bet big.

On the turn 1/2 the pot is unobjectionable, though perhaps again you could have got away with more, 2/3 or 3/4 of the pot again (maybe 3/4 on the flop, 2/3 on the turn?).

On the river, you're still ahead against most of his range, i.e. anything but aq, 77, jj, 22, qj, you beat any weaker Q, any pocket pair other than 7,j,2, if he had SC's and hit the 7 etc, and other trash (though calling the turn any really random crap seems unlikely) and there's only 1 Q left unaccounted for. So re-raising all in with top set seems fine? Sometimes yes you'll lose but it seems like most of the time here you have the best hand. So pushing seems good.

Sorry if this isn't too clear or there are errors - I'm new too and just thought thinking through some hands would help me learn!
Old 11-06-2007, 10:44 AM

A value bet is def in order here.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:57 AM

Yeah as other have said bet more on all streets and I might shove river. Villain is stacking off with any queen here. I think AQ is an autoshove and KQ is fairly close.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:29 AM

I think you should have bet more on the flop and turn - for two reasons.

1. You don't want him to get a cheap card - he might be chasing a flush.
2. You said it yourself - you want to build the pot and you don't do that by betting light - you're goal at this stage is to get all of his chips - you want him to be committed by the river - so he has no choice but call no matter what. If bet $1 on the flop and $2.50 on the turn - if you put him all-in on the river (~$4) - he would have little choice but to call off < $4 to possibly win $12 - he'd only be folding the very worst of hands.

If he was chasing a flush and hasn't bet much - he will fold on the river when he misses and value bet when he hits.

You are quite strong on the river - you are only behind A-Q and a full house. It would be strange if he simply called you to the river with A-Q without raising along the way - he'd be trying to build the pot as well. He could be slowplaying a full house - but that would be quite unlikely.

At 10NL, you will often be amazed what players turn over at the river.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:30 PM

Flop bet size is ok but you need to hit turn and river harder. Also he's got at least trip Q's on the river, but you beat most Q's so you likely have to call the river. I would probably fold Q9 or worse versus the river check/minraise.

Never seen that one as a bluff and its always a huge hand that slowplayed/trapped u. Guys good at poker lol.