Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Rumsfeld found promoting propaganda about terror threats

[ QUOTE ]
John,

getting off topic but

[ QUOTE ]
Christianity is also the religion which places the greatest emphasis on showing kindness and love to everyone, even to those who may be against you.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a degree of subjectivity here, however I'd argue this isn't true. cf Jainism, Buddhism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm, well, Mahayana Buddhism to an extent perhaps yes, with its concept of the bodhisattva; but I don't think anything quite matches the example of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ in his asking God to forgive those who were torturing and killing him. Jesus also gave as one of the two greatest commandments to love each other as one's self. Buddhism is certainly peaceful, and espouses kindness and non-harm, and a similar Golden Rule as well; but I don't see it as actively promoting love and forgiveness for even one's enemies to quite the extent that Jesus taught and lived by. I'm not saying Buddhism promotes anything contrary to that; it's just that that doesn't strike me as its founder's primary emphasis, or its founder's primary instructions, as do the teachings of Jesus.

The concept of the bodhisattva became prevalent at a later date. The emphasis of the teachings of Gautama was more on disentanglement from the cycle of cause and effect, than on overtly demonstrating love and forgiveness. If you think Buddhism matches Christianity for this particular emphasis I'd be curious to understand how and why you think so. As for Jainism, I'm not familiar with it, so I can't comment.