Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 11:05 AM

Default Stars 12 180 turbo...turn a flush and crappy river card..easy fold?

very early on so no real reads...I led out on flop to price my draw and it worked...does anyone play this differently? Is the turn bet enough? On the river I figured if he had the stones to bet into to players with that board he had me beat...

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t10/t20
8 players

UTG: t1320
UTG+1: t1710
MP1: t1290
MP2: t1770
CO: t1280
Button: t1470
SB: t1380
Hero: t3280

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls t20
UTG+1 folds
MP1 calls t20
MP2 calls t20
CO folds
Button calls t20
SB calls t10
Hero checks.

Flop: ([t120) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 players)
SB checks
Hero bets t80
3 folds
Button calls t80
SB calls t80

Turn: (t360) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
SB checks
Hero bets t200
Button calls t200
SB calls t200

River: (t960) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
SB bets t600
Hero grumbles and instafolds
Button folds
Uncalled bets: t600 returned to SB

Final pot: t960
Old 11-05-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Stars 12 180 turbo...turn a flush and crappy river card..easy fold

I'd make it close to 300 on the turn but this looks pretty standard in general.

Anybody c/r this flop?
Old 11-05-2007, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd make it close to 300 on the turn but this looks pretty standard in general.

Anybody c/r this flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sap turn bet was looking to induce a bluff and also to disguise my hand a bit...don't love check raising the flop cause my hand is pretty bad if called and they call light in these...also why build a big pot OOP with a hand that has some value...
Old 11-05-2007, 11:29 AM

I was considering the c/r in terms of costing you less overall to know if you're ahead (or at least, not crushed). I agree that if you're called you're behind, but it usually would keep you from spending more on later streets to find out the same thing.

Also, I don't know if I like your reasoning on the small turn bet for two reasons. First, I'm generally not all that big on feeling like I need to disguise my hand in the 12/180s. I'd rather bet bigger to make sure I'm pricing out someone with an As or Ks. Second, I think that betting smaller to induce a bluff isn't gonna work too often vs the typical 12/180 donk, especially with three people in the pot and a very dangerous board. Would a non-Q, non-flush hand bluff-raise this board? I don't see it happening.

Regardless, I'm not sure the flop c/r is the best line, but I was just putting it out there for comment. I don't do it enough myself and I want to better understand the right spots to pull it off.

Matt

Edit: Oh, and yeah -- I reluctantly muck the river.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was considering the c/r in terms of costing you less overall to know if you're ahead (or at least, not crushed). I agree that if you're called you're behind, but it usually would keep you from spending more on later streets to find out the same thing.

Also, I don't know if I like your reasoning on the small turn bet for two reasons. First, I'm generally not all that big on feeling like I need to disguise my hand in the 12/180s. I'd rather bet bigger to make sure I'm pricing out someone with an As or Ks. Second, I think that betting smaller to induce a bluff isn't gonna work too often vs the typical 12/180 donk, especially with three people in the pot and a very dangerous board. Would a non-Q, non-flush hand bluff-raise this board? I don't see it happening.

Regardless, I'm not sure the flop c/r is the best line, but I was just putting it out there for comment. I don't do it enough myself and I want to better understand the right spots to pull it off.

Matt

Edit: Oh, and yeah -- I reluctantly muck the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt,

agree on the turn bet...every time I forget to stop making fancy moves in these I regret it!!! River I didn't even think about it...big sigh and fold and move on...villan was in SB so who knows what he had...could've had me dead all along!