Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 04:47 AM

Default 5$ 45 person SNG fire on the flop here?

Usually I play aggressive here and bet about 3/4th pot. Is this the right idea given position and a bad flop?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t20/t40
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t1470
UTG+1: t1620
MP1: t1635
MP2: t1425
MP3: t1485
CO: t1440
Button: t1455
SB: t1470
Hero: t1500

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls t40 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t60)</font>, 7 folds, 7 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t120</font>, UTG calls t80 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t140)</font>.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t260, 2 players)
Old 11-05-2007, 04:54 AM

Default Re: 5$ 45 person SNG fire on the flop here?

This is a dream-flop for any PP and an UTG limp very often means a small to medium PP looking for a set. If you have any other read c-bet and look what he does.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a dream-flop for any PP and an UTG limp very often means a small to medium PP looking for a set. If you have any other read c-bet and look what he does.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that a c-bet is best here.

Although one idea I've run into recently is the need to mix it up occasionally to disguise your hand and give you flexibility (e.g. maybe, as Harrington suggests, look at your watch, and if the second hand is between 0 and 45, c-bet, if between 45 and 0, check).

Why I mention this is that I was at a table recently for a long time and was c-betting every time I raised pre and found myself heads up. Then, I was OOP with AA against an aggro, and the flop came AK9. I really wanted to check to allow the aggro to take the lead and hang himself, but I realized that if I checked that flop after c-betting every other flop I was just announcing that I had him crushed. So I had to c-bet, and the aggro folded.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:23 PM

any other thoughts?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:28 PM

Please CB without a read. I'd like to hear your thoughts about your PFR with AJo against this villain; if the pot was smaller, I think a CB more easily defines your hand, otherwise, he is "putting you on AK" amirite?

-ZEN
Old 11-07-2007, 01:34 PM

Personally, I think that making potentially incorrect choices under the guise of "mixing up your play" in low-level MTTs is a recipe for disaster.

The vast majority of opponents at this level aren't paying attention to anything more than their cards and wouldn't really know how to interpret your actions even if they were. Plus, you see the same players so infrequently in these games that the mixing up your play concept should be pushed to the back burner in favor of making consistent EV+ plays.

As for this hand, I like a 2/3 pot c-bet, reevaluate if he calls, fold to a raise. I doubt you're getting a pocket pair to fold but tons of people limp-call in these games with bad aces, medium suited cards, etc.