Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Am I out of line?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If your dorm isn't quiet you have reason to complain, though. A computer lab or a "talking" floor of a library is not a place where you can expect absolute silence.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? A dorm should be quieter than a library or computer lab? Explain the reasoning behind that please.

[/ QUOTE ]

New to English?
Old 11-02-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fly,

Shockingly, dorms can be noisy places and people actually go to such places as libraries and computer labs to escape that noise!

[/ QUOTE ]

If your dorm isn't quiet you have reason to complain, though. A computer lab or a "talking" floor of a library is not a place where you can expect absolute silence.

If you have unreasonably low ambient noise standards the burden should be on you to find a place of sufficient silence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I'd be complaining about my dorm if it WAS quiet enough to study.

Dorms are for partying, hanging out, playing music, etc. Computer labs are for doing work.

I'm not saying that everywhere should be pin-drop quiet just because it is designated for work.

Noises I can put up with while doing work in a public place:

-Keyboard Typing
-Hushed phone calls (ie. "I'm in the library, can't talk now. i'll meet you for dinner at 7. k bye"
-Work-related conversations (ie. group projects where people are collaborating on an assignment)

Noises I cant stand:

- blaring headphones
- loud, prolonged, casual phone calls
- non-work related conversations that last longer than 30 seconds.

When it comes to the topic of the conversation making a difference, its easy to tune people out when people are saying "i think we should put the references to X first, and then we can move on to Y."

when someone is going "oh my god i cant believe she said that, well look at this facebook pic, she looks sooo ridiculous..." or "man this work sucks, i can't belief professor x is such a dick about it. ughhhh" then it is hard to just ignore them because they could take it to the hallway or back in their room.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have to work in absolute quiet work at home. If you can't deal with background conversation/ambient music/etc., grow up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this statement is just wrong on so many levels. You obviously are one of these inconsiderate people who feels the need to talk about a library.

I don't have a problem with people talking on floors that aren't quiet areas, rather the opposite.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

when someone is going "oh my god i cant believe she said that, well look at this facebook pic, she looks sooo ridiculous..." or "man this work sucks, i can't belief professor x is such a dick about it. ughhhh" then it is hard to just ignore them because they could take it to the hallway or back in their room.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't follow. You have to eavesdrop enough to understand the content of their conversation before you know if you're annoyed yet? They could take their work related conversation back to their room too.

Here's the thing: Inability to complete your work because of high ambient noise levels is a personal failing. Regular people can do academic work without freaking out because someone has their iPod too loud 3 desks down. People should not have to adjust their perfectly acceptable behavior because you need complete silence to read and you're too lazy to find a quiet spot.

En Passant- We aren't talking about the quiet floors of the library.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:22 PM

Just nicely ask people who lower their voice or stop.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While using computer labs in various buildings across campus (PSU), I find people making noise (talking on cell-phones, conversing and laughing loudly with others, blasting i-pods, and generally being annoying). The worst part is that they know how distrubtive they are, but dont care. I have considered just telling them to STFU, but thats way to confrontational for me and def wont solve anything. Should the same rules apply to a computer lab as they do a library? Or am i out of line?

note: started this thread because some a-hole just sat and blasted his i-pod to the point i had to turn up mine, and now am on life-tilt.

rant away......

[/ QUOTE ]

it usually does.....
Old 11-04-2007, 05:48 PM

I go to UCD and i agree, ppl need to stfu. There are so many times I may be trying to study online material or finishing up discussion questions/labs and then you hear the dreadful "oh, hey how's it goin!" and these jerks have full blown conversations like it's a gd cafe.

A more passive advice is to carry some music on you and put it on low so that it's not loud, but drowns out the noise. i like jazz b/c lyrics are distracting. another is, if you have the time, scout different labs to see what areas are less frequented. the best ones are usually in buildings that don't hold many classes and far away from congregations. don't go to the lab near the quad for example. Also, avoid prime time if you can. This is usually mid morning and early afternoon. If possible try and get things done in the evening before your work is due.

BUT it's much more bold and gutsy to just let them know that they're being loud. There was a dude blastin the ipod, and simply enough a guy tapped him on the shoulder and said "can u turn it down, it's loud" and he did. Now, the problem with this is that it's a really a lost cause; others are just gonna be loud in another point in time.

You just gotta tough it out if you live in the dorms. once you move out and have your own place, the peace and quiet will be golden.