Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Who is god? (Non religious post)

Because it so alien a concept. Honestly I think the first I would do was to see a doctor or look for hidden mirrors.

God is a cultural and semantical concept, and I don't think it can reflect well on some universe-creating entity and its capabilities. It would be like describing the bottom of the mariana trench based on what a shallow puddle of water.

But ok, if I assume I met something I honestly believed was a god I think I would get very scared and wet my pants and then I'd swear eternal allegiance hoping to get something neat like eternal life, power or a glimpse of how the universe ticks in return.

At some point I'd probably wonder if he was one of the 'big kahunas' from the major religions, but that strikes me as incredibly illogical conclusion when thinking about it now.

Ofcourse standing before some all-powerful entity I'd might not think as clearly.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:17 PM

I simply assume he is a being far more advanced than me; perhaps an alien. But I don't necessarily think I could just deduce his/her/its intentions simply through abilities and power. That is, I have no reason to assume that this being is kind or malicious. And almost certainly the morality of this being will probaly be far different from my own
Old 11-04-2007, 06:33 PM

Would people accept the chance of this being a good benevolant god (Similar to the one in the bible in his goodness) and an evil devil (Similar to the one in the bible in his badness) as equal?

If so why? If not why not?

[I do not mean to use the bible as an example, but my lack of ability to concisely put my thoughts forward made it inevitable. If you want to reply with "The god from the bible isn't good! He says 'XXX XXXXX XX XXX....'" Then you've missed the point entirely. Please substitute whatever symbols of good and evil omnipitent beings work for you.]
Old 11-04-2007, 06:41 PM

I don't think either is more likely. But things are complicated. You may have a being that is can be well meaning but may be prone to bouts of lack of self control, much like the main character in the Bible.

Would insects (if they knew how to think) consider me evil, moody, and irrational when they piss me off? Most likely.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would people accept the chance of this being a good benevolant god (Similar to the one in the bible in his goodness) and an evil devil (Similar to the one in the bible in his badness) as equal?

If so why? If not why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any reasoning I could use to characterize the motivations of such a being would be ridiculously petty and simplistic, so I think the probability would be about "equal." Not in that the probabilities are actually the same in a mathematical sense, but in that my intuition isn't up to the task. Any suggestion of probability would be arbitrary on my part.

This is true in general, but discussing the probability of God is much easier when he isn't in the room.