Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 02:19 AM

Default Re: The state of Notre Dame football.

I think people tend to underestimate just how horrible the Willingham recruiting effort was.

One question for all you [gigantic state school] fans:

What would be the effect on your program if the NCAA took 10 scholarships away this year? Would you see the effects immediately? Or would you expect to see them a couple years down the line?

That's essentially what Willingham did to ND. Did Weis benefit from Willingham's recruits? Yes, technically. Brady Quinn was a Willingham recruit, but he was basically landed by Chinedum Ndukwe's father. Ty played the "soft sell" on him. Ha.

Weis can't win without Ty's players? Well, Ty couldn't win WITH Ty's players. And at Washington, he still can't, even with a bona fide badass at QB.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think people tend to underestimate just how horrible the Willingham recruiting effort was.

One question for all you [gigantic state school] fans:

What would be the effect on your program if the NCAA took 10 scholarships away this year? Would you see the effects immediately? Or would you expect to see them a couple years down the line?

That's essentially what Willingham did to ND. Did Weis benefit from Willingham's recruits? Yes, technically. Brady Quinn was a Willingham recruit, but he was basically landed by Chinedum Ndukwe's father. Ty played the "soft sell" on him. Ha.

Weis can't win without Ty's players? Well, Ty couldn't win WITH Ty's players. And at Washington, he still can't, even with a bona fide badass at QB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't win? Are you forgetting he left ND with a 21-15 record? Somehow, domers add that up to 0-36.

At UW is competetive.

Weis going into ND was a much better situation than what Ty was walking into at UW.

If you're going to use that excuse(prior coaches players) for Weis, then I guess you could also use it for Ty and the players he was 'left' with at UW. Oops, god forbid you put them with equal factors. Does the sand make your neck itch?

If you're going to use this years stuff about UW as Ty's players, well, I guess it goes equal for Weis as they'd be 'his' players. Oops, I forgot, he's infallable and can do no wrong. So infallable he doesn't even have to develop his players, field a competetive team and break longstanding ND records for ineptitude. Damn, extend him for another 10 years.

Oh, and #40 and better recruiting classes aren't as bad as many domers like to act. As said before, it still doesn't add up to the abysmall effort they're showing on the field.

You know who to blame? The ND higher ups when they got a hardon when Urban Meyer made his statement. But then, domers don't tend to look at the whole picture. I guess somehow that helps them sleep at night.

b

b
Old 11-03-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-03-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, c'mon. Stop with the denial.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who recruited Sharpley, the QB who couldn't beat Navy?
Who recruited Zbikowski, the punt returner who put his team in position to win?
Who recruited Walker, the kicker who Weis didn't have enough faith in to attempt to win the game in regulation?
Old 11-04-2007, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who recruited Walker, the kicker who Weis didn't have enough faith in to attempt to win the game in regulation?

[/ QUOTE ]
When you are guys going to accept the fact that Ty Willingham and his golfing habits are totally to blame for this Navy loss? Weis's poor in-game decisions are obviously the result of late onset long term psychological trauma from Willingham leaving the program in such shambles.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:49 AM

Actually a lot the NDNation people are jumping ship. There is much talk about "one game making all the difference", which is hilarious. We've seen this for weeks (months, really), but they think this game made the difference because they were blind for the first 8 games. Brilliant.

Although it is sad if NDNation gives up on him. Sure, their arguments about whether Pete Carroll, Bill Belichick, or the ghost of Vince Lombardi will pay millions for the privilege to be their next coach, but that just isn't as good as the glorious rationalizations.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:19 AM

I refer you to the great quotable enemy of ND, coach John McKay his Bucs went 0-14:

"Who cares? It doesn't matter if you aren't first. Seattle won two games. Should we throw them a party?"

In other words, if Notre Dame beats Navy in the final seconds... So What? Is that going to mean anything in 2008?

- The Fat Man is Still Our Savior
Old 11-04-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't even bother explaining this one.

I've been vocaal about the harm Ty's done to the program, but trying to blame anyone but the current regime for this loss is insane.

Run, run, run. Be semi-competent on defense. Don't turn the ball over. Win. How hard of a game plan is that to execute?

I think what hurts most for ND fans right now is that Weis is an ND guy. He's a graduate, and he fully understands the importance of the program's tradition and and returning it to championship caliber. His gesture of allowing freshman RB Robert Hughes to score in the 1st quarter (his older brother was shot and killed earlier in the week) was awesome. Because he is so in tune with the Irish community, he's enjoyed support not seen since Lou Holtz roamed the Irish sidelines. Next year will confirm it for sure with his performance working with a large talent influx, but this loss could mean that CW is "willing, but unable" to succeed at ND. I'd argue both Davie and Willingham were unwilling and unable, but unfortunately for CW, my characterization puts him squarely in the company of Gerry Faust.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:50 PM

First off I'm really happy for the Navy guys. Absolutely huge for them. Now it's up to Army to spoil their season [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Weis's playcalling made me want to puke today. If Navy can't stop the run...ever...why bother passing? He gets too cute schematically for his own good sometimes. Us poker players call it "fancy play syndrome."

If CW doesn't make it at ND, this will be one of the games looked back at as WTF? Not to take anything away from the Middies, but there's no excuse for losing this game.

Many Domers will jump off the Weis bandwagon after this game. I'm trying to take the long view, but today's results were not encouraging.