Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2006, 09:08 PM

Default Which law school should I attend?

Hey guys, long time no see. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I currently go to Syracuse University(surprise, surprise). I also got into Cornell, Hamilton, Colgate, and Syracuse for undergrad. I chose Syracuse(the least competitive of all four) so I could live at home and not have to live in the dorms. I have since moved out and now live off-campus in a sweet apartment. Anyway,

I have a 4.0 with a dual business/poli sci major. I got a 170 on my LSATs and with my 4.0 I've just been accepted into Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Columbia, Syracuse and Buffalo law schools. I was rejected from Yale. I am soliciting recommendations on which law school I should attend.

Anyway, I guess that these top laws schools consider Syracuse a quality education(which it really isn't- I'm sure I would have to work much harder at a school like Cornell or Colgate), and I guess that's why they let me in.

But back to the law schools. I think that my top two choices are Cornell and Harvard. Harvard because it is the most competitive of all the law schools I was accepted to, and Cornell because it's less than 90 minutes from my house. What do you guys think?
Old 03-18-2006, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Which law school should I attend?

u seem like a smart gai
Old 03-18-2006, 09:11 PM

This isn't really a choice. To get into Harvard law and not go would be insane.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:11 PM

/end not so subtle brag thread
Old 03-18-2006, 09:14 PM

I'm not bragging about having a 4.0 at Syracuse. It's one of the easier undergraduate institutions and I'm sure I'd only have like a 3.2 at Cornell with the amount of work I put in.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:17 PM

Its a choice between harvard and columbia. Harvard has a slightly better rep but they are close enough that quality of life should be the deciding factor. Just decide wheteher you would be happier in Boston or New York.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:19 PM

You would be [censored] insane to not go to Harvard. Harvard law school grads are exceptional people (more than any other I've met). And the connections you'll get at Harvard are more than worth any inconvenience.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:20 PM

Why do people ask for life-changing decision advice on OOT? I mean I love OOT, but somehow I dont know if I fully trust the advice on this stuff.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its a choice between harvard and columbia. Harvard has a slightly better rep but they are close enough that quality of life should be the deciding factor. Just decide wheteher you would be happier in Boston or New York.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not realize they were that close. I just thought that the Harvard name would vault them higher. I would rather not be in Red Sox Nation if I can avoid it.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:21 PM

I'd pick NYU. The location of your law school correlates highly to where you work, and I would think some of the best/most competitive jobs would be in the city. Of course, if you get out of Harvard I'm pretty sure you can work anywhere you want.

Do you know what kind of law you want to do? The best ranked law school might not be the best for a particular branch of law.

Btw, when did Harvard and Yale notify you? My friend got into Columbia and NYU already but she is still waiting to hear from Harvard/Yale.

Edit: NYU is also ranked higher than Columbia and is in a MUCH better neighborhood. Unless you had special ties to Columbia I don't think it's much a choice between the two.