Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Re: The Sexiness of a Lag - Little Theory/Article Xposted

Paul's example is at least controversial since preflop raisor can represent a wider monster range than the cold caller who has 6 combos of sets and A3s + A5s which is 10 combos together; the preflop raisor has 12 combos even only for AK and thuss is able to play back profitably pretty soon. Of course the necessery spewish move takes some balls and you can run most people down on these flops too, don't try it on me though.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if anything this post will be good for the games.

I mean very few people will actually be able to take whats written here and apply it correctly. yea, lags make their cash by winning more than their fair share of small/medium size pots but have very good instincts with regard to knowing when to back off. all I see happening are tagfish c/ring a lot of flops oop w/out a clue what to do on the turn and end up building huge pots w/ marginal holdings and talking themselves into some horribly bad river calls because theyre getting priced in. should be pretty funny actually

[/ QUOTE ]

What Paul described about c/r dry A flops seems a perfect example of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain the flaw in my thinking? Mathematically speaking it's +EV. And in my additional thoughts, I showed some of the subtleties that need to be taken into consideration. Outside of balancing and opponent adjustment factor, I'm not sure why this would be a bad play.

Someone else suggested that the Villain can represent a bigger hand and rebluff--which is a real consideration. However, if you choose moments where you probably have a redraw, then our EV was underrepresented in my post.

or do u just like to hate on me?
Old 11-03-2007, 03:04 AM

Seems dangerous for this article to have no real mention of the issues of range polarization (and balancing). It's going to lead to some incredible spew when random tagfish start trying to arbitrarily apply the ideas within.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:21 AM

it already started. what have u done
Old 11-03-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if anything this post will be good for the games.

I mean very few people will actually be able to take whats written here and apply it correctly. yea, lags make their cash by winning more than their fair share of small/medium size pots but have very good instincts with regard to knowing when to back off. all I see happening are tagfish c/ring a lot of flops oop w/out a clue what to do on the turn and end up building huge pots w/ marginal holdings and talking themselves into some horribly bad river calls because theyre getting priced in. should be pretty funny actually

[/ QUOTE ]

What Paul described about c/r dry A flops seems a perfect example of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly

[/ QUOTE ]

Today's CTS Cardrunners video. HU NL1000.

CTS raises 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] from the button, the SB 3-bets, CTS calls.

FLOP ($220) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain bets $130. CTS raises $410. Villain folds.

CTS says, "Actually I missed his bet size a little bit I wish I woulda made it a little smaller, it was a little big... Those Ace high flops, when your opponent is tilting and they've been reraiseing you quite a bit. You know their range is reasonably wide. Ace high boards those are good ones to fire small bluff raises on because there's so small of their range that can take any heat."

Well it looks like CTS read my post and decided to apply my donkey argument to his video...or maybe it wasn't such a bad argument.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:42 PM

Also bluffraising is massivly +ev as it is good for your image and really annoys opponents. You probably earn money in other pots because of it, even if the move itself might be neutral ev at times.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:16 PM

Paul, the difference there is that a whole lot more of CTS's range hit the dry A-hi flop since he called a 3-bet IP and not a raise OOP preflop. It's much easier to sell a raise in that spot.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Paul, the difference there is that a whole lot more of CTS's range hit the dry A-hi flop since he called a 3-bet IP and not a raise OOP preflop. It's much easier to sell a raise in that spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is somewhat true. It really depends on what the hand range of the Hero. For example, CTS was calling 3-bets light because the Villain was raising light. Similarly, you think a Hero who calls a button raise shouldn't have an Ace very often in his range which would seem to make sense but it wasn't stated in my post.

The point of the post has less to do with the Hero's range and more to do with the Villain's. You're correct though that it's important for the Hero's bluff to be credible.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:24 AM
 is offline

nice post
Old 11-05-2007, 08:21 AM

Nice.

I wounder how much W$@SD drops when you gain WWSF.