Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 07:52 AM

Default Bet or check-raise river here?

Stars $10 FO

These morons keep letting me draw to a hand. We are about 7 hands in. I have won 2 decent sized pots from different villains mininum betting on the flop and turn. The rivers have been exciting. Seen 3 hands from Villain already. He bets draws, bottom pair, etc. when seeing flops. What is my river line here? Bet out? CR? Bet and fold to an all in (but call any reasonable raise)?

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t20 (8 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Hero (t2910)
UTG+1 (t1340)
MP1 (t3070)
MP2 (t1470)
CO (t1540)
Button (t870)
SB (t1950)
BB (t1850)

Preflop: Hero is in UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero raises to t60</font>, UTG+1 calls t60, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, CO calls t60, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, BB calls t40

Flop: (t250) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG+1 bets t20</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, Hero calls t20

Turn: (t290) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG+1 bets t20</font>, Hero calls t20

River: (t330) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero ???</font>
Old 11-02-2007, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Bet or check-raise river here?

His tiny bets and your calling of them means you have no clue what he might be holding here. I would bet out on the flop and see what he did to that, makes it easier to decide how to proceed.

You can't fold to these miniscule bets, on the river I'd bet a bit over half the pot and might fold to an all-in. That the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] are both on the board should mean it's a bit less likely he has 2 diamonds in his hand unless he's any any-two-suited type?
Old 11-02-2007, 08:55 AM

lol - you mean if he bets again 20 on the river you will c/r him to 60 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

- but seriously - this looks like some blocking bets - maybe he has just hit his flush draw.

i'd check/call the river.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:03 AM

The turn bet makes no sense whatsoever for a flush draw, but then again doesn't make sense for much. The only thing close to a logical reason for it would be to induce FOS when he's holding a monster or more likely for a cheaper showdown. So I'd lead river for perhaps ~180. I don't think you get shoved on very often at all, almost never, so if he did I'd have a rethink based on timings &amp; maay fold.