Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 08:00 AM

Default Re: bipolar disorder and poker

[ QUOTE ]
i am not bipolar, but as i started to play poker i was a looser in the game because my emotions influenced my decisions. now as i learned a little bit more about the game i
do have the oppinion that if you are able to keep your emotions out of the game you should be able to play ev+, if you cant seperate gamedecisions and your feelings ,i would suggest to avoid the game, bipolar or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having bi-polar disorder or any other mood disorder isn't about controlling your feelings or seperating them from your decisions. Having a mood disorder is about having a distorted view of the world (cognitive) and as a result of that, making decisions which can cause yourself or others harm. It's not possible for him to do this, because bi-polar disorder isn't about feelings.

To the OP, I strongly encourage you to resume treatment for your bi-polar disorder. The only truely effective treatment for it is medication and therapy. Find a psychiatrist you trust, be open with him/her about your concerns of being over-medicated as you were before, and work to find a solution that best helps you.

It is not uncommon for people with bi-polar disorder to stop taking their medication once they feel that their depression/mania has gone into remission. Part of that is because, when you are medicated, you don't get the rush of the feelings that you get when you have a manic episode. When you get used to that rush, you miss it, when you are on medication that takes that away from you.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in poker and the best in life.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:56 PM

A little background, I work in the mental health field. While I am in administration now my training is as a behaviorist.

To begin make sure you have a good psychiatrist. Medication for bipolar has improved greatly and there are medication with less side effects.

As far as poker, and any other potentially destructive behavior, look for some external controls when you feel you may be swinging away from center. Have someone else have control of your deposits. Have friend who knows poker review your play. When manic make sure you break up your session into small segments and review yourself.

Playing a lower limits at either extreme would be better. Maybe play SNGs this may limit your tendency to blow off large stacks.

Most important though get on a good medication regimen and stay on it.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:40 AM

Good advice on here.

Perhaps the absolute most important part of being a winning poker player is separating emotions from your decisions. I have depressive tendencies and notice a huge difference in how I play depending on my mood.

I would say be very aware your mood and be ready to play lower when necessary, or tourneys, as others suggested.

I too would recommend seeing a professional, and most likely using medication as well.

Very importantly, playing when manic is not a good idea just b/c it is the opposite of depressed. Emotional control is what poker is about.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:47 PM

I am not sure if I am bi-polar, but I do know that there is something systematically wrong with my brain:

Anywho. I do play poker for profit and for a living. If I really feel down, I simply cannot play.

Otherwise. I am fine. I have to break up my play into sessions. For whatever reason, I can turn off my emotions when I am playing for the most part, as the decision making is too taxing for me. It can be done.

I don't know how to give any advice. I think that the biggest flaw is the adventuring and constantly moving up and down in limits. Playing down will bore you to death, and you will want more than anything to play your normal game. There is really nothing you should do out of the bounds of what your roll says is proper. It is very very hard to control yourself when you are used to playing up, to not go back and play more, especially if you are under-rolled.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:47 AM

LITHIUM>>>LITHIUM>>>>>> LITHIUM>>>>>