Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Playing big hands badly, part one....

Just took two massive suckouts at the same time on two tables, and i'm sure i played the hands wrong to allow being sucked out on......please enlighten me, I have no idea how these guys play so it's just too much guessing for me.........

Full Tilt Poker, $0.05/$0.10 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 4 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

SB: $16.70
BB: $9.10
UTG: $9.90
Hero (BTN): $9.40

Pre-Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BTN)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.35</font>, SB calls $0.30, BB calls $0.25

Flop: ($1.05) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">BB bets $0.10</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.35</font>, SB folds, BB calls $1.25

Turn: ($3.75) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $2</font>, BB calls $2

River: ($7.75) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $3</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $5.40 and is All-In</font>
Old 11-01-2007, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Playing big hands badly, part one....

A straight maker and flush get there on turn. The donk bet/call line is often a draw from your villian (or a TPNK or mid/bot pair).

Since two draws hit at the same time, check behind. You can call a smallish (scared) bet on the river, but only because he may lead the river with two-pairs and sets that you beat (and bets small because he is afraid of the flush). If leads for 1/2 pot or more, you probably need to fold the river most of the time. On the other side, if he checks the turn and river, you can make a smallish bet and get called by a lot of hands you beat. Don't try this against a good player though, as they can bluff raise you out easily.

Now if the turn was a non-ace, non-straight-maker spade you can probably lead out again for 1/2-3/4 pot because he doesn't have to a flush. He could have 78/QJ. Note, however that you are holding QQ so QJ becomes less likely, but he could also have something like KsJx or KxJs, picking up the flush draw on the turn.

I have no problem checking the turn though if I don't know my opponent yet.

As played, the river is a clear fold. I wouldn't expect him to expect you to fold for $2.40 more, and he is indicating the flush doesn't bother him or he has a straight and is blindly shoving (or doesn't put you on the flush). A bluff seems unlikely here. If he had two pair or a worse set, I think you would have been raised on the flop or turn (unless he is passive and scared of the flush), so I don't think the river Q changes the relative value of your hand. You beat only a bluff or a stupid villian.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:49 PM

bet more on the turn, at least 3.

How can you say fold on the river? He could easily have a lower set, I've sen idiots slowplay top or middle set all the way to the river, where they c/r all in. You need to put in 2.40 into a pot of over 16 dollars. Almost 8:1 odds? I call this all day.

"You beat only a bluff or a stupid villian. "
-I play 5/10 too, I've seen much stupider
Old 11-01-2007, 07:57 PM

As played , there's nothing wrong with pushing the river.(maybe if you had bet more on the turn)
At this stakes he 'll call you with worse often.
you can check behind but it depends on the villain. You can make a note he belong to the slowplay OOP to the river kind, you'll get your money back
Old 11-01-2007, 07:58 PM

Bet closer to pot on turn and push river.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:15 PM

It's easy to say check the river through after we've seen that villain intends to c/r push, but come on, who are we kidding. That river bet is valuetown. The shove is unfortunate, but still a crying call imo. This could be a lower set or some donkey w/ 2 pair plenty.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's easy to say check the river through after we've seen that villain intends to c/r push, but come on, who are we kidding. That river bet is valuetown. The shove is unfortunate, but still a crying call imo. This could be a lower set or some donkey w/ 2 pair plenty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. I still think we are ahead a reasonable amount of the time, here