Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 05:31 PM

Default Pot Sized Continuation Bet

Pot Sized Continuation Bet. What does it really mean?

I had a hand yesterday where the details are not important; but a fairly aggressive, but solid, player continuation betted on the flop with a pot sized bet.

This goes for Multi-s as well (which was the above situation). How do you usually handle a pot sized flop bet?

Is it somebody just trying to protect their big hand or big overpair.
Is it just a contiuation bet to try to NOT give additional players odds to call?
Is it typically just a bluff?
Is it disguising your monster with an overbet?

I realize that this is read dependent most of the times; but in SNGs or early on in Multis, you don't always have the reads.

I have my thoughts; but I was just curious as to what others thought.

Thanks.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Pot Sized Continuation Bet

Well, it really can be anything of those things you mentioned.
Depending on the type of player, it might be a hand that he wants to protect vs a drawy board pretty often.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:43 PM

I agree with sence, trying to protect tptk, overpair, 2pair, sets on draw heavy flops.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:12 PM

all of my flop c bets are pot sized or very close to it. I feel like i am giving away too much info if i try to vary my bet sizes. It makes my life much simpler. I get more money in when ahead, and put more pressure on people to fold when i am behind.

I know you are asking what people think of players making them, but i am just showing my thoughts when i c bet. So if the player is not varying the size much, he may just be doing like i do.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
all of my flop c bets are pot sized or very close to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a simple rule would be to:

bet 1/2 on a dry flop like Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
bet 2/3 on a dryish flop like K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
bet 3/4 on a wetish flop like K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
bet pot on a wet flop like J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

And use the same fromula wheter you hit or not. Thoughts?
Old 11-01-2007, 06:45 PM

looks good karp.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:22 PM

theres no way to discern without a read, but if the player seems reasonable you can usually, as karp touched on, tell by flop texture some of the time at least in terms of how you may want to proceed or how to weight his range.

this is very imprecise as such a general question, though, as most players simply dont adjust between blind levels and bet sizing in many spots enough to tell us anything meaninful.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:30 PM

karp, those are good guidelines. But, you also have to adjust for more players being in the pot as collectively you'll have to protect against more outs.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
all of my flop c bets are pot sized or very close to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a simple rule would be to:

bet 1/2 on a dry flop like Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
bet 2/3 on a dryish flop like K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
bet 3/4 on a wetish flop like K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
bet pot on a wet flop like J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

And use the same fromula wheter you hit or not. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
Good rules, but how about dry low flops like 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]? HU OOP, HU when checked to, HU vs min/tiny bet, vs regs, vs donks, etc.

Also, if you are going to commit X% of your stack on the c-bet at what X do you just overbet push?

Juk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2007, 01:39 AM

isn't the whole point there is no hard and fast rule?

it seems to me you should take into account a variety of factors - texture of the board, position, numbers of players, stack sizes, image, etc.