Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 12:06 PM

Default Re: My Multitabling Pros and Cons

For $ multitabling is just the way to go. There's just no way a good, serious player could not make more than half as much on each of 2 tables, so 2>1. It probably doesn't take too much getting used to make more 4-tabling. Then it becomes personal preference, you can go ultrahigh.
However if you're trying to learn a new game/limits/improve then single tabling is actually good. You can actually think about why you're doing stuff.
Obviously it also depends on what games you're playing. x-tabling full ring is not the same as x-tabling HU.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Re: My Multitabling Pros and Cons

Yea... depends on the mood. When I am hanging with a few friends and we want to have some drinks, chat, and play a little online for fun, one table is great.

When I am spending a night in a more serious session, I generally play 4 tables. What I find most fun recently is I play 3 ring tables of my normal stakes, and then make my 4th table a low buyin MTT... sorta adds an element of excitement with minumal risk.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Theory of multitabling...

Why multitable (might) be good -

1) Lower limits, often, just a battle of patience - especially full ring. More tables to watch, means playing hands more often - and less impatience.

2) There is such a thing as just playing good poker. If your default game is good enough to win, you can quadruple your earnings by multi-tabling.

3) stat-trackers allow you some information on how to play against certain opponents - even if you haven't been paying attention to them.

4) Players with obvious faults in their game often stand out, even while multitabling.

Obviously, playing 1 table is more likely to give you better results FOR THAT Table. But its not likely that what you lose is so much, that beats doubling, tripping....or, quadrupling the return you get per table from multitabbling.

----_Dirty&Litigious_----
Old 10-31-2007, 08:52 PM

the only theory is play the number of tables that will have you making the most money per hour... period

exceptions could be if you measure ur joy from poker in utility and the decreased bordom of additional tables despite it slightly hurting your average is worth it in your eyes... go for it

things to think about, everyones winrate decreases when adding tables, if tilt becomes a bigger issue when you multi table this could translate to more tables actually hurting your hourly due to the occasional massive tilt (although when playing ok or good your hourly is better with more)

so again add tables to maximize your utility/profit.. if the same thing then play the number you think will net you the best hourly... period thats all there is to it, we play for money.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:57 AM

I single table stud and stud8 all the time, don't think I could multi those.

I don't mind playing a bunch of tables with NLHE, but I prefer 2 or 3 TBH. I don't put maximizing profit ahead of improving my reads and so on, and frankly there are other pursuits besides poker that net me more profit for my time and effort. 8 tabling in robot mode isn't what a lot of people had in mind when they started.