Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Going off with a slight edge... or not? PLO 50 Full Ring

To preface, when I'm tired after work low on brain power to play big stack PLO, I play a gambly short stack game for fun. When I play like this, I'm trying to follow Rolf Slotboom's approach. Any insight from that perspective would be welcome.

Anyways, I'm not real good with the math so I wanted to get some input to see if I'm doing this right.

To summarize the hand: 4 limpers (I'm 3rd limper at MP3), BB bets pot ($3) and gets 2 callers (pot now 4x$3=$12 when it gets to me). I have $10.50 left with 6c Ah 5h 8s and jam hoping BB has KKxx and not AAxx but in either case will jam to force out the 2 early limpers caught in between. BB jams, suprisingly one early limper calls so 3 all ins preflop with the following hands:
Ks Ac Tc Js --> 0.555 EV
6c Ah 5h 8s --> 0.259 EV (HERO)
5c Th 9c 8h --> 0.186 EV

So, I put in $10.50 to get ~$35 with .259 EV. Here I am a loser, right? I have a 1 in 4 chance of winning, but only 1 to 3.6 payout. (This last is where I'm not sure if I'm thinking about the numbers correctly.)

But suppose both the early limpers both fold after each putting in $3, and I'm HU with the BB it plays out like this:

Ks Js Ac Tc 0.608 EV
8s 6c Ah 5h 0.392 EV (HERO)

I put $10.50 in to get $27.50. Here I am a winner, right? I have a 2 in 3 chance of winning and almost a 1 to 2.75 payout. (Again, this is where I'm not sure if I'm thinking about the numbers correctly.)

Any input would be appreciated,
Mike

Edited, unconverted hand history:
$0.25/$0.50 - Pot Limit Omaha Hi
Seat 1: chight ($104.45)
Seat 2: Ravenor_1000 ($60.25)
Seat 3: HERO ($10.50)
Seat 4: MisterBrain ($9.45)
Seat 5: Arboretum ($43.25)
Seat 6: HardToKill ($7.15)
Seat 7: moffsy ($246.90)
Seat 8: Antologic ($37.15)
Seat 9: wolverine123 ($138.10)
Antologic posts the small blind of $0.25
wolverine123 posts the big blind of $0.50
The button is in seat #7
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [6c Ah 5h 8s]
chight calls $0.50
Ravenor_1000 folds
HERO calls $0.50
MisterBrain folds
Arboretum folds
HardToKill calls $0.50
moffsy folds
Antologic raises to $3
wolverine123 calls $2.50
chight calls $2.50
HERO raises to $10.50, and is all in
HardToKill folds
Antologic raises to $37.15, and is all in
wolverine123 calls $34.15
chight folds
Antologic shows [Ks Ac Tc Js]
wolverine123 shows [5c Th 9c 8h]
HERO shows [6c Ah 5h 8s]
Old 10-30-2007, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Going off with a slight edge... or not? PLO 50 Full Ring

[ QUOTE ]
To preface, when I'm tired after work low on brain power to play big stack PLO, I play a gambly short stack game for fun. When I play like this, I'm trying to follow Rolf Slotboom's approach.

[/ QUOTE ]
if you find shortstacking fun, you are probably playing too loose.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:31 PM

I've been on Slotboom for about a week. So take this for what it's worth.

Looks like you're good. Your hand was probably worth a gamble. It's unfortunate you couldn't get more people to fold. They had big enough stacks to fold.

Auto-reload and move on.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:31 PM

No player that already calls a raise to 3 preflop will fold for another seven fifty at this level. I don't like your push at all. If you are going to short stack, this is not the hand to play.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:53 PM

For RoundTower: if you find shortstacking fun, you are probably playing too loose.

Do you mean playing too loose in general or just in this short stack situation?
I'm mainly just blowing off steam when I play short stack. Plus, it's kind of nittyness therapy for when I play deeper.

For ChuckyB: it seemed like the Slotboom thing to do...

For chucky: I think you missed the part where the BB jammed to ~$35 after my limp/reraise. I thought if he took my $10 bet to $35, the other limpers would fold. For another $7 into a $28 pot, you're right, no one is folding. ... and I guess for another $30 some people aren't folding with trash as I found out.

P.S. How do you do that thing with the quote box graphic?
Old 10-30-2007, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No player that already calls a raise to 3 preflop will fold for another seven fifty at this level.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's after the original re-raiser, he may not fold for another $7.50. But if the original raiser pops it again, all but the very best hands should be going in the muck. So Hero has protection in that way.
Also, the second villain doesn't close the action in this one so that's another thing to encourage him to fold. He doesn't want to put $10 into the pot, then get run into AA from "chight" and be forced to eat a big [censored] sandwich.

Or, if he's squeezed between the $10.50 re-raise and the original raiser he will (if he doesn't have a big hand). I know that's not the situation here, but it's a worthwhile point.

Hero's hand could be better (double suited, A876, etc.) But if he can get it HU, this hand is alright. Especially, as OP mentioned, if there's any chance the original raiser has Kings.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No player that already calls a raise to 3 preflop will fold for another seven fifty at this level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero's hand could be better (double suited, A876, etc.) But if he can get it HU, this hand is alright. Especially, as OP mentioned, if there's any chance the original raiser has Kings.

[/ QUOTE ]

If his Ac was Kc, I would be earning about .05 EV more which brings up to .30 EV in the 3 way and .025 EV more to .415 HU. And there is a lot of dead money in there in relation to my stack size...
Old 10-30-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If his Ac was Kc, I would be earning about .05 EV more which brings up to .30 EV in the 3 way and .025 EV more to .415 HU. And there is a lot of dead money in there in relation to my stack size...

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. That's why I'm with you on this play.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:56 PM

This is fine. Your equity HU against a preflop raiser and/or against multiple callers is usually more than good enough to make this move.