Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Should the Pats be running up the score on everybody in garbage ti

[ QUOTE ]
Totally agree with giraffeboy77 about everything he said - except the last statement. I was in the stadium for that and I just thought everyone was retarded for booing Eli for taking a knee and just don't understand the game atall.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree its kinda ironic that a footballing (soccering?) nation accustomed to games ending 0-0 would boo the final moments of a 13-10 game.

I understand why he takes the knee, but it still kinda sucks that the game is effectively over with time still to play. Couldn't the NFL just ban knee-taking? Is there any other reason for doing this apart from running out time? I feel that a team should be always trying to advance in a game, the fans pay the salaries so they should get a full games entertainment.

(And yes, I know that in soccer teams timewaste every chance they get to defend their lead (playing in the corners, faking injuries etc.), but the other team has got at least a slim chance to come back, plus time gets added on at the referee's discretion).

I like NFL but don't like games petering out in the last couple of minutes, especially when its a close one. I wanna see 80 yard TD throws in OT, just not against the Broncos next time [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Sorry about the hijack BTW.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand why he takes the knee, but it still kinda sucks that the game is effectively over with time still to play. Couldn't the NFL just ban knee-taking? Is there any other reason for doing this apart from running out time? I feel that a team should be always trying to advance in a game, the fans pay the salaries so they should get a full games entertainment.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way to ban this and it would be stupid to. Where would you stop? - stopping the clock after every single play? Starting the play clock at like 15 seconds rather than 40? Taking a knee is just the easier option of grinding down the clock by running up the gut every play. Its all part of the game.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:45 PM

The team should always be trying to win the game, and taking a knee is the most certain way to win a game sometimes. I don't think you should ever force a team to make stupid plays giving the other team a better chance of winning.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Totally agree with giraffeboy77 about everything he said - except the last statement. I was in the stadium for that and I just thought everyone was retarded for booing Eli for taking a knee and just don't understand the game atall.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree its kinda ironic that a footballing (soccering?) nation accustomed to games ending 0-0 would boo the final moments of a 13-10 game.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 0-0 is not neccissarily boring, and you expect the teams to try and get that one goal until the final whistle is blown. Also in soccer you are expected to run up the score if you can, there is noone that expects you to stop scoring if you are up 5-0. If you deserve to win 8-0 then you should try to do so, and the losing team are rightfully humiliated.

That being said, in a soccer-game where the score is 2-1 for the home team the audience will not boo the players nearing the end of the game when use as much time as possible getting the ball in play or try to take the ball down to the corner-flag and let the clock run out.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm not going to go back and read all your posts but i fail to see why i'm supposed to make your point.

i remember you saying something about risk reward, so if i were to guess, i'd say your point is that since the patriots are striving to achieve greater things this year (eg the team of destiny stuff), they can afford to take greater risks (eg leave brady out there). is it something like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

That and the fact that we can't blame Belicheck for Brady getting hurt if we don't criticize him now, but I can certainly be pissed at a cheap shot.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:09 PM

What is the reward for them running up the score?
Old 10-30-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What a retarded thread. So if Tiger Woods is leading by 8 strokes at the beginning of the last round of the Masters, should he put away his driver and only use his putter? Should Roger Federer retire from Wimbledon since he wins it every year?

[/ QUOTE ]

If tiger woods is leading by 5 in match play with 6 holes to go and won't give the guy a 5 inch putt to halve the hole.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the reward for them running up the score?

[/ QUOTE ]

To prove how disgustingly dominant they are. They look like a team that wants to be known as the most dominant team of all time. If you don't see any value in that, then I can understand why it's not worth the risk, in your opinion, to have Brady out there, but I'm guessing that the players on this team do see value in that.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i'm not going to go back and read all your posts but i fail to see why i'm supposed to make your point.

i remember you saying something about risk reward, so if i were to guess, i'd say your point is that since the patriots are striving to achieve greater things this year (eg the team of destiny stuff), they can afford to take greater risks (eg leave brady out there). is it something like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

That and the fact that we can't blame Belicheck for Brady getting hurt if we don't criticize him now, but I can certainly be pissed at a cheap shot.

[/ QUOTE ]
well either way i find it to be a pretty laughable and convenient change of story. kind of like operation 'lets find saddam's WMDs' became operation 'iraqi freedom.' what happened to 'belichick isn't trying to run up the score he is merely protecting his lead?'

pats fans are still trying to hold on to the delusion that there is something noble going on here. i'm not saying the patriots won't go down as the team of destiny this year, i'm just saying i don't think that is belichik's motivation.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well either way i find it to be a pretty laughable and convenient change of story. kind of like operation 'lets find saddam's WMDs' became operation 'iraqi freedom.' what happened to 'belichick isn't trying to run up the score he is merely protecting his lead?'

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. I didn't think Belicheck was trying to make a statement until the Dolphins game. After the Redskins game, though, I think it's perfectly obvious that's what he's doing.

[ QUOTE ]

pats fans are still trying to hold on to the delusion that there is something noble going on here. i'm not saying the patriots won't go down as the team of destiny this year, i'm just saying i don't think that is belichik's motivation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I do try to be as objective and non-delusional as possible, but no fan is perfect. I do think Brady was probably in there for one possession too long, but I'm not going to question the decisions of a team that has won 3 SBs in a parity-filled league. If Belicheck and company want to win every game by 20+ and set all sorts of stupid ass records either because they're bored with just winning 10-12 games a year, or because they're pissed at the league for making them a scapegoat and trying to tarnish their accomplishments, then I'll be behind them all the way.