Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 11:26 AM

Default Ring vs Tournament differences

Hello all,

I am a new player and so far I have done pretty decently in NLHE tournaments (both online and live). It is NLHE ring games that is my weak point since I am barely a break-even player in live games and a small losing player in online ring games. I have a LAG style of play that helps me in tournaments, but this style seems to get me in trouble in ring games so now I play tigher in ring games but without much success.

I learned to play poker from the Harrington books (specifically for tournaments I know), Phil Gordons books, and a couple of Skylansky books (not as clear as Harrington and seems more focused on limit plays). My questions are:

1. What are the major differences between ring and tournament players?
2. What characteristics and plays is important for ring play besides patience? Some players seem to be very LAG and don't seem to be patient and yet they seem to be winning players while I wait for big hands in ring games while losing $ steadily waiting for the "big" hand.
3. Drawouts seem to happen much more often in ring games to me, is that statistically true?
4. Any recommendation on an easy to read book specifically for NLHE ring games?

Thanks in advance and if this is not the right forum to post this question, please point me in the correct direction.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Ring vs Tournament differences

1. The two major differences are that in ring play you: a) are not limited by the stack you have on the table, and b) do not have to deal with increasing blinds. The resulting strategy differences are too numerous and invloved to discuss simply in a post like this.

2. Characteristics of a NL ring player: a) patient which generally means tight, b) good understanding of implied odds which generally means loosening up at the right times, c) good at postflop play when deepstacked, d) good at preflop play when shortstacked, e) good at hand reading and player reading.

3. That's probably true. Since the implied odds are usually greater in a ring game, it is often correct to go after good draws even against the immediate odds. As well, when playing shortstacked, a good draw like a pair and the nut flush draw with anywhere from 9 to 14 outs is a good hand to shove all-in (as the first aggressor to give some fold equity a chance). A guy with a set is going to call and lose a third of the time to the nut flush. This is common in NL cash games. In tournaments, except for the end game mostly, players might want to see a turn more often before risking all their chips.

I'm probably full of it on this question but granted that the strategy differences will result in different hands going against each other. I do think though that there is more deepstack play in cash games and thus more implied odds coming into play.

4. I found these books useful as applying directly to NL cash:

http://www.amazon.ca/Mastering-No-Limit-...2333&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.ca/Professional-No-Lim...2356&sr=1-1
Old 10-30-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Ring vs Tournament differences

Yes, one has to definitely make certain adjustments here and there from a tournament style of play to a ring table. Being a LAG player is very essential to be a profitable ring player online. However, it is only sometimes. I believe one must be both a TAG player and a LAG player depending on the situation of the game.

In general, especially for a starting player (including myself), I believe we should start from being a TAG player. Yes, patience is key, but it's not just about getting the right hole cards to start playing. We have to understand the importance of position (EP playing less hands than would normally play on BTN, etc), stack sizes (to call a raise with low-mid PP if the call is ~8% of the essential stack size and ~10% if it's a multiway pot), knowing how to raise preflop and when/how to reraise (if raising preflop, always raise 4xBB + 1BB per limper, and if you have a premium hand, reraise someone's raise by about x3 and times an extra number per caller before you), and so much more. I've only touched preflop (and very generally described). Postflop plays are obviously equally important but knowing how to play ring games optimally is quite impossible to answer in one response (due to obvious reasons).

If I haven't mentioned already, I am also a beginner. I have recently (a few weeks ago) started playing cash online at PokerStars (2NLHE) and so far I have been steadily increasing my bankroll (+6BB/100) to soon be able to move on up to my next level goal (5NLHE). A particular part of this forum has (and is currently still) helped me out tremendously. Check it out, I'm sure you will benefit without a doubt. But of course, this is only the beginning. http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post3239210