Old 10-29-2007, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Unconstitutional history

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If the federal government were ever to become the sole judge of the limits of its own powers through its own courts, then there would eventually be no limits to those powers and the Constitution would effectively become a dead letter.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are going to take advice on freedom and liberty from a rapist who owned his fellow human beings as slaves?

[/ QUOTE ]

Strawman. The quote didn't say anything about freedom and liberty. Stop trolling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny that OP probably takes his cues on civil rights from a man who was repeatedly unfaithful to his wife.

I despise this argument.. No man is perfect, why do people find it necessary to attack character, rather than ideas. I'm no GW fan, but I can honestly say, I've never resorted to the "cocaine" argument against him. I can argue against his ideas, and insult his intelligence, without taking personal shots at his past.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when is a man’s personal behavior not illustrative of his character? Thomas Jefferson was a moral reprobate. Why should anyone take his advice on anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ad hominem fallacy.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a man is a moral reprobate can you respect him? If you cannot respect a man, why would you put any stock in his opinions?
Old 10-29-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since when is "being registered to vote" a prerequisite for discussing politics ?????????????????????????????????

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you paying attention? This is not what I said.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The same business you have here trolling. In fact, a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting libertarians to actually think about and explain their views is trolling?

When I registered for this board, I didn’t see any disclaimer saying non-libertarians not allowed. I naturally thought that I would be allowed to participate. If you object to my presence and have the power to ban me, do so. Otherwise you are free to ignore me as I am about to do with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iron- can we invoke the "RedBean" rule yet?
Old 10-29-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The greatest huh? Wow, I would bet Rome had more, and worse treated as well. Greece. South Africa. I can assure you, all these were worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your documentation for this is what?
Old 10-29-2007, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't know much about the civil war, do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean apart from a lifetime of study, 40 credits hours in history (while getting a bachelor’s degree in biology at Emory University) and at last count 5 direct ancestors that served in Robert E. Lee’s army?
Old 10-29-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If the federal government were ever to become the sole judge of the limits of its own powers through its own courts, then there would eventually be no limits to those powers and the Constitution would effectively become a dead letter.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are going to take advice on freedom and liberty from a rapist who owned his fellow human beings as slaves?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL at using popular moral standards of today to attack the character of people who lived hundreds of years in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly object to this kind of moral relativism. Just because something is acceptable, doesn't mean it is automatically right.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The economic oppression of the South was one of the foremost reasons for the Civil war.

[/ QUOTE ]

What economic oppression?
Old 10-29-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Strawman. The quote didn't say anything about freedom and liberty. Stop trolling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny that OP probably takes his cues on civil rights from a man who was repeatedly unfaithful to his wife.

I despise this argument.. No man is perfect, why do people find it necessary to attack character, rather than ideas. I'm no GW fan, but I can honestly say, I've never resorted to the "cocaine" argument against him. I can argue against his ideas, and insult his intelligence, without taking personal shots at his past.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when is a man’s personal behavior not illustrative of his character? Thomas Jefferson was a moral reprobate. Why should anyone take his advice on anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ad hominem fallacy.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a man is a moral reprobate can you respect him? If you cannot respect a man, why would you put any stock in his opinions?

[/ QUOTE ]

So you don't put any stock in the Declaration of Independance? No wonder you don't think the Confederacy was a country.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With the possible exception of the Alien and Sedition Acts (which few people who could have had any original intent bothered to object to), the examples given were not really unconstitutional.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lincoln's removal of habeas corpus
Internment of Japanese in WWII
Patriot Act
Old 10-29-2007, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only people who are allowed to have opinions on politics are registered US voters?

[/ QUOTE ]

The only people whose opinions on politics actually matter are voters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another fallacy - I'm sorry but I can't help but wonder how many fallacies have you propounded thus far in this thread? Why, you may ask, is it a fallacy? Well, what if someone were to write a highly influential book on politics, yet never personally vote? Would you say that their political opinions "don't matter"? What if their book influenced many others? I don't think you would say that about them, would you? Therefore, expressing opinions - and perhaps being willing to support those opinions - does matter indeed, ands that's but one example of how a non-voter's opinions might matter. There are others, of course, but since you could probably conjecture some of those yourself, I'll leave it at that.

As always, thanks for reading.