Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Playing from the big blind in STTs

I have a general question about playing heads-up from the big blind in STTs.

When the blinds get big (both players have 10BBs or less), I understand it's correct to push a large number of hands from the button. However, I'm not sure about how to play from the big blind when my opponent just calls.

For example, suppose I have a strategy of shoving any ace in the BB when my opponent just completes the SB. If my opponent knows this strategy, he has a big advantage postflop - he knows if I check, I can't have top pair if an Ace flops.

Should I just ignore this fact and continue to shove all my good hands in the BB, or check a certain % of the time? Does it become less important to mix up your play as the blinds get bigger?
Old 10-29-2007, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Playing from the big blind in STTs

I don't see how your opponent could understand this or know this about your play at all. I doubt you've shown down enough hands like this for him to take note (or played enough) and even moreso, for this for him to think it to be obvious. I think if you have less than 10BBs, you're shoving about 90% of hands if the SB completes anyway, so an ace high theory or whatnot should not affect your decision.

As the blinds get bigger, you will obviously be shoving more often because the blinds become incredibly crucial (in turbos, tenfold to non-turbos) in STTs if you have a table full of nits.
I think in a STT you should be shoving about 60-80% of hands (even more in extreme latter stages) from the BB from say level 6 or 7 onward if the SB is just completing (and no other limpers)