Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 01:53 AM

Default flop the NUTS (tpnk)

$50 50k guaranteed.

2nd hand at the table. criticize preflop as much as you want but usually people won't play back light to a an unknown ep raiser imo.

Poker Stars, $50 + $5 NL Hold'em Tournament, 500/1,000 Blinds, 8 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

UTG: 32,089
HERO: (UTG+1): 54,300
MP1: 16,753
MP2: 15,978
CO: 25,509
BTN: 19,590
SB: 12,707
VILLAIN: 39,073

Pre-Flop: (2,300) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG+1)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to 2,600</font>, 5 folds, BB calls 1,600

Flop: (6,500) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (6,500) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets 4,100</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to 36,373 and is All-In</font>
Old 10-29-2007, 02:13 AM

Default Re: flop the NUTS (tpnk)

[ QUOTE ]

2nd hand at the table. criticize preflop as much as you want but usually people won't play back light to a an unknown ep raiser imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

&lt;insert pf criticism here&gt;

If "people won't play back light to an unknown ep raiser" then don't you have an easy fold? I mean, there is a reason why you don't raise K7 from ep, and it's because if you hit a K and the money goes in you're usually [censored]. That being said, his line is really odd, especially on this board. I mean, what made hand checks the turn(I can't think of anything besides a draw/air that does this...maybe TT, 22, 33, but they should be betting the turn too)...I'm a nit so I think I'd probably kick myself for getting into this spot and fold anyway, but you definitely have the best hand sometimes. Also, I wouldn't mind your flop check with something stronger, but I don't really love it here (maybe be hindsight lol.)
Old 10-29-2007, 04:32 AM

You raised K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG...ok. But, villain doesn't know that. He most likely puts you on a AQ+,99+ kind of range. He expects a KTx board to hit you more often than not. He checks to you fully expecting you to bet. As a general rule when your opponent expects you to bet..DO IT! Say "Yep I got some of that, just like you thought" and see how he responds. When you check behind here you have suddenly narrowed your range to a whiff or a monster and your turn bet sure doesn't look like a monster trying to get some action from a villain whose shown nothing but weakness.

Bet the flop as expected and fold to a raise.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, there is a reason why you don't raise K7 from ep, and it's because if you hit a K and the money goes in you're usually [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT!!!

What you effectively did was to try a blind steal from ep. It failed. So make a normal c-bet on the flop and fold to any resistance.

As played here you have an easy fold, imho. Surely Villains line looks a bit weird, but maybe he is coldblooded enough to either check the flop AND check the turn while waiting for the opportunity to check-raise his monster - or crAI the turn because he doesn´t put you on the K (as you probably had bet the flop then). But you have no idea at all - so why take this risk? Give him respect for his play and fold (what even may be the best hand).