Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2006, 10:43 AM

Default Good MTT\'ers Average Finish

I know there is probably a huge range dependent on playing style, but I'm curious as to what the number might be for some you guys here. I'm not sure I'm "good", but since I started the thread, mine is around 44% so far this year, with around 15-16% ITM (with some 20% payout tourneys thrown in I'm not sure how useful that number is). My sample size is only about 100 tourneys because I've been focusing on cash games. My ROI sucks since I've only made one final table in a 260 man tourney and haven't had any big cashes, but ROI is going to fluctuate far more than the other numbers, so it doesn't bother me with so few tourneys factored in.

I think I was playing a little to LAG for a time, pushing too many hands, or rather too many hands in the wrong situations, late in tourneys, and I expect that my average finish will creep up a bit by the end of the year due to some adjustments, but probably not by much.

Is the average finish very useful in analyzing the quality of one's play? How about in relation to your ITM%?

Holdemphile
Old 03-17-2006, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Good MTT\'ers Average Finish

I don't think PokerTracker calculates it for you, but I think something like "Median percentile finish" would be much more meaningful.

Of course, net profit is much more important than that.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:37 PM

Go check out tournamentreporter.com. They have stats like this that you can look up for all players. Right now my average finish is in front of 62% of the field, with a 20% ITM.

A good time to check out these stats for people is at the end of the month when we have the monthly results thread. I'm sure if you search for last months and look through it you'd find some interesting stats.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:38 PM

Thanks Badger, that's a great site that I wasn't aware of, but it's a bit suspect in that my ranking is an Ace!

Holdemphile