Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Limp 99, flop midset on drawwy 4 way board

Ok, I seriously misplayed the SECOND hand of tournament and lost over 400 chips, so it caused me to slowdown. I am recieving mixed feedback from a few players I know. Even though I slammed a set, this in my opinion was a BAD BOARD. Flop is so drawwy. I know I should push out draws in a multiway pot like this, but what do I do on the turn? It was just a board I wasnt happy with, I decided to smooth call and re-evaluate on turn. I wouldnt be happy calling a shove here.

If he bet small on the turn I might have called/folded to big river bet. If he bet big on the turn result might have been the same, once he checks turn I felt I had to bet for a little value. And the river i felt I had to check. I dont think the hand was played too poorly, possibly a little bit more value could have been extracted but I need some feedback.

Where was biggest mistake? Limp preflop? Flop?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) by Hand Converter CG

UTG+1 (t1625)
MP1 (t1625)
MP2 (t830)
Hero (t2080)
CO (t1500)
Button (t1360)
SB (t1560)
BB (t1470)
UTG (t1450)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t20, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t60) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t40</font>, SB calls t40, BB folds.

Turn: (t140) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 checks, SB folds, MP1 calls t160.

River: (t300) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks.

Final Pot: t300
Old 10-27-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Limp 99, flop midset on drawwy 4 way board

I would have raised preflop, continuation bet the flop, bet big on turn, check/fold the river or check/call if he bets min or something crazy.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:11 PM

I'm confused as hell as to what happened. The action makes it seem as if you folded PF.

Are you MP1 or MP3? Are you the limper?

If so, you should have raised PF.

PSB on the flop.

Bet the turn.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:14 PM

yea I am looking for a converter. This one is weird. I am MP3,yet it doesnt say I called the flop bet, and it doesnt show my BET on turn. Well, It shows bet, but not that HERO made bet.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yea I am looking for a converter. This one is weird. I am MP3,yet it doesnt say I called the flop bet, and it doesnt show my BET on turn. Well, It shows bet, but not that HERO made bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Use the flopturnriver converter:
http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php

I just posted a hand for the first time ever and it came out fine.

BTW, the one I posted was, by coincidence, also a limped 99, flopped midset, with a drawish board. I did worse than you did, though. I lost my whole stack. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2007, 02:52 AM

The lego poker converter is the best imo.

I can't tell what the hell happened most of the way, but 1) raise PF, what's with everyone limping 99, that's retarded. Second, you need to be raising that flop, this is like the perfect flop for you, a set AND an A on the board, but you're going to have to raise if you want to get someone's stack, calling t40 bets isn't gonna get the job done. The value you get from people who can't fold an A is&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;the value you'll ever get from slowplaying. Also, with 2 diamonds and 89 on the board there could certainly be a good draw out there.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:42 AM

If I flop middle set (usually after a preflop raise) I am ready to go bust on that hand - ie my only concern is how to put all my money in on last 3 streets. By turn I am usually too committed to fold. Is that a correct approach?
Old 10-28-2007, 06:54 AM

1. raise 120ish pre. c-bet 1/2 pot. 2/3 turn. shove river get called double up.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:38 PM

thanks for the answers. And to clarify, I rarely limp 99, I just did and this occurence happened which totally screwed me up because it was 4 way pot.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:42 PM

(1) I think overlimping preflop is fine here.

(2) This flop is unbelievably good for a set of nines, and you should shovel money in on the flop. You feel GREAT getting your money in there because you are only behind AAA, but any two pair, AT+, straight draw or flush draw is going to put more money in. Therefore, you get lots of actions from the many many many worse hands and draws and are practically never behind. Not raising the flop is the biggest mistake, IMO.

(3) I like the turn bet.

(4) What kind of hand do you think MP1 has here? You can either check behind or make a smallish bet (folding to a c/r) that he can call with an ace.