Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Final table with AK

[ QUOTE ]
To those saying why 9k instead of 7.5k pf - I feel like raising to 7.5k gets flat called by a very wide range of hands here. I'm raising to 9k bc I want him to fold or RR, instead of having to play this hand OOP.

I dbed him and he has like $200 net over 36 games or something, so moving up could be a concern. After time banking on the turn to the last second while talking to my buddy on AIM about whether to shove or check (two to a hand?! OMG!), I checked with a plan to c/f. My gut told me he wasn't folding one pair.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t1500/t3000
(Ante: t400)
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t145620
CO: t65534
Button: t39039
Hero: t60059
BB: t55748

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t9000</font>, BB calls t6000 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t12500)</font>.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t20000, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t14000</font>, BB calls t14000 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t34000)</font>.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t48000, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets t12000</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: t12000 returned to BB.

Results:
Final pot: t48000

His underbet is totally ghey but I can't see any other way to play this other than folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really nice to know that you are getting advice over AIM on how to play poker hands while it is in progress. Is that ethically permissible?

Barry
Old 10-26-2007, 02:52 PM

He started sweating me at the ft. When I raised, I said "AK." On the turn I time banked and said "ugh." He said "AI?" I said "I don't think he's folding one pair." He said, "I don't know." The time bank ran out and I checked. I think that kind of thing is fairly standard.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He started sweating me at the ft. When I raised, I said "AK." On the turn I time banked and said "ugh." He said "AI?" I said "I don't think he's folding one pair." He said, "I don't know." The time bank ran out and I checked. I think that kind of thing is fairly standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess, I don't really know what's standard or not in terms of hand discussion during a tournament. Curious what your take was.

Barry
Old 10-26-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess, I don't really know what's standard or not in terms of hand discussion during a tournament. Curious what your take was.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really sure what I think of it, but this kind of thing is fairly standard.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:46 PM

some thoughts... stack sizes are awkward in this BvB spot. you need to acknowledge that and act accordingly.

1) raise less pf. you can cbet less on the flop. this will set up nice stacks for considering a c/r AI on the turn with the right turn cards. OR c/f on the turn is OK too. or just c/r AI on the flop.

also, as an alternative line.

2) i could see myself raising to 14k preflop (yup... overbet) and then open pushing 99% of flops. i think thats an unexploitable +EV line and solves the awkward stack size issue.

i dunno whats best. but i prolly choose (2) in the hear of the moment since i cant be making a clear mistake that way.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
some thoughts... stack sizes are awkward in this BvB spot. you need to acknowledge that and act accordingly.

1) raise less pf. you can cbet less on the flop. this will set up nice stacks for considering a c/r AI on the turn with the right turn cards. OR c/f on the turn is OK too. or just c/r AI on the flop.

2) i could see myself raising to 14k preflop (yup... overbet) and then open pushing 99% of flops. i think thats an unexploitable +EV line and solves the awkward stack size issue.

i dunno whats best. but i prolly choose (2) in the hear of the moment since i cant be making a clear mistake that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

What calls 14K preflop?

Barry
Old 10-26-2007, 04:17 PM

Here's the problem.

Your stack is nowhere near as big as it looks. You have an M of about 9.5, but with only 5 at the table, that makes your effective M about 6.

If you raise and get called, you will have to play OOP for the rest of the hand. As I see it, you have 2 choices.

1. Raise small and play poker postflop, or
2. Raise bigger to maximize fold equity.

In both cases you're calling if he shove over the top.

Personally, I prefer #2, and I raise to a minimum of 15,000.

The reason being that I want the BB to know that if he calls, we're playing for stacks on the flop.

Actually, that's me being a little obtuse, but I wanted to set up why I think raising to 9,000 is the worst of all choices. With your hand and relative stack sizes, you should be very willing to get your chips in the middle preflop, but if you want to try to use the fact that you probably have the best hand now to outplay him post flop, you want to start playing pot control right now. Raising to 9000 puts you in no man's land when you're called and miss.

Shove &gt; minraise/complete &gt; raise to 9,000.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What calls 14K preflop?

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

i dunno barry... i dunno.

how about 12k ... thats prolly better. then still open shove.

i'm gonna go drinking and get laid so i can feel good about playing in the ssMTT tomorrow... maybe it'll come to me in a spout of drunken stooper.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:11 PM

BB is never going anywhere with a 7.5k raise, all we've done here is inflate a pot oop. I prefer to end this hand pre, I like the 15K pf, it's a normal sb v bb raise anyway, we are shoving most flops and may allow our opponent to play his hand perfectly, but our hand is too good to play passively.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:13 PM

think its an easy c/f, and im a huge donk so i like the ship it preflop option, only 20bb