Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 01:08 AM

Default implied odds and pot odds

I’m new to NL and have a question about pot odds and implied odds and how to determine what odds you need for drawing in NL.

Say for example that you are HU and in position with a flush draw. Both players have full stacks of 100BB and Villain is unknown.
If villain bets the pot we are getting 2:1 on a call. Clearly not enough to call based on pot odds. I know it’s very dependent on situation but in general, is the implied odds gonna be enough for us to call in situations like these?

Also if he bets half the pot it means we are getting better odds but does that change anything?
Old 10-26-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Re: implied odds and pot odds

u have 2 take in 2 consideration how much villian has left behind.if i know that i can stack him off if i hit the flush
i'm calling.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:02 AM

Like you say its very dependant on the situation. This will include stack size, position, player aggression, puttin the player on a range of hands vs the flop, notes etc.

for example if you are in position and this player is aggressive then this could be a situation to call. you have approx 18% chance of hitting the flush so it may be worth a call knowing he will bet the turn.

if he bets half the pot then as you say you are getting better odds. not correct odds to call but taking into account you only to entice a it more money in the pot if you hit to make it worthwhile.

hope that makes sense.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:07 AM

Here is where i made a mistake on implied odds. I've just started multi tabling and this is the downside. I was left with 5seconds to make a decision. This was a very unusual hand. I had JJ in 3rd.. i raise to $1 a player raises to $2.50..then another player calls, and another lol. It comes back to me and i should have folded, cos i had a person behind me to act. But i called - first mistake.

But there was $8.50 in the pot and only $1.50 for me to call, and i also had to hope the player on my right doesn't push all in. Even now calling was the wrong option. Well, she did call and i was getting 5-1 on my money, the wrong odds for a set. But implied odds, were quite useful. We all had big stacks. What are the odds of a set 8-1,9-1 against? i should know this =)

In saying that...you have to consider many scenarios. One player had AA another KK myself JJ...other player didn't show - put him on QQ or TT. If the board had come KJ5 which is a possibility. I'm looking at losing a monster hand, so you have to weigh up many possibilities. In this one, i should have folded.

Its the old hmmm nice pot(micro), might catch a set, get my cash in ahahahh. This hand was put me off playing 4tables, if i was playing one like per. I would have given it some deeper thought. hah its only $1.50 but if you keep making those mistakes they add up.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:10 AM

The thing to keep in mind with implied odds is do you think you will get the extra chips if you do hit. A flush is not disguised very well and the villain may not offer any more chips once the 3rd card you need for a flush hits the board.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:33 AM

usually you can make them pay you off with a sucker bet though. Just give them 3-1 on the call. Usually in that situation its hard for them to lay now top pair. i.e $4 pot they bet $2 giving you 3-1 on your flush. four times you lose $8 and one time you make $6..so therefore your looking at $2plus into a $8 pot when u hit which is manageable. It's very marginal at 3-1 pot odds on the turn. Well, thats my philosophy and it probably comes down to my mood and player. Folding or calling, both are ok moves in my book in that situation. I could be wrong eheh.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing to keep in mind with implied odds is do you think you will get the extra chips if you do hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the long and short of it.

Just figure, as best you can, how much you actually expect to get out of your opponent if you hit your hand (not how much you hope to get, how much you EXPECT to get). Combine that with what's in the pot now and evaluate your draw in terms of pot odds.

Please remember to account for the times where you make your hand but still lose. For example, if you are drawing to a straight and there are two hearts on the board, one or two of the cards that make you a straight might make him a flush.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:43 AM

But to answer your question OP... often on the flop with full stacks you can peel a card with position, especially if you have decent overs or a pair or other draws, even back door striaght draws.

On the turn it's a lot different, by this time the pot tends to be larger, and with a naked flush draw you're going to have to extract his stack a large percentage of the time when you hit, which just won't happen with 100bb starting stacks enough. Plus the flush is somewhat obvious.

POW
Old 10-26-2007, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
POW

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao I saw that in the BBV thread.