[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SnG Strategy book review thread

[/ QUOTE ]

was i supposed to lol? Circle one:

Yes
No

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on if you read the book or not. My point to the OP is that reading Moshman's book (as he mentioned he had done) won't really help with a lot of the important SNG concepts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta say, whereas the hand posts are just great, there's a real paucity of decent strat posts. I read your review of Moshman's book, and you had some interesting thoughts, but I couldn't help thinking then, and think now, that good coverage of those concepts is lacking. Where should players like me, who know some of the basics but not enough, look?

One really tough thing is that once you get a little knowledge, you can sort out the really bad advice, but you're left with a lot of plausible sounding posts, and no way to know who is really on the money. I know two or three posters who I trust, but there are a couple of winning players who seem way off to me. I think that it's probably going to be true that you can be mostly sound and win money at mid levels, but mostly sound can really lead a beginner astray.

In case any noobs are reading this, I'll give them one piece of advice that I think is very valuable. If a player who plays much higher than you says "oh at the (lowlimit) levels, you can call that because donks will have [censored] every time", take that with a big pinch of salt. I mean, for instance, I play at the lower limits, and I won't have [censored] every time, I guarantee you. And I can't be the only player who has a bit of a clue. IOW, player reads over buyin reads every time. Nothing makes me laugh more than reading in one post that "they do that at 6s but not at 60s" and then the same poster's very next post showing some guy doing that at the 60s.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:32 AM

Default Re: New Memeber Looking To Meet Some Good SnG Players For Help

Devin,

I wasnt aware he outed his screen names - he makes videos for stoxpoker.com and uses a HH replayer with him as 'Hero'
Old 10-26-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In case any noobs are reading this, I'll give them one piece of advice that I think is very valuable. If a player who plays much higher than you says "oh at the (lowlimit) levels, you can call that because donks will have [censored] every time", take that with a big pinch of salt. I mean, for instance, I play at the lower limits, and I won't have [censored] every time, I guarantee you. And I can't be the only player who has a bit of a clue. IOW, player reads over buyin reads every time. Nothing makes me laugh more than reading in one post that "they do that at 6s but not at 60s" and then the same poster's very next post showing some guy doing that at the 60s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the thing. I play (mostly) low limit STTs cause I can play 25 at a time and its low stress. I'll be moving back up again, cause I feel like it, cause I'm way overrolled, and cause I think I'd make more $$$ in the long run, but there is a huge difference in play between even the 6.50s and the 11s/16s. Sure, you have tons of donks at both levels, but at the most you're gonna have about one other competent player at the table in a 6.5-- at even the next level, you've got a bubble with Finnisher, The Venetian, and Cardsoup-- all players that should probably be playing higher but aren't. In a 6.5, all it takes is one note like "leads a set" or "calls wide bvb" and you make a quick adjustment and don't make a mistake the next time. And if you see someone is a reg, you should at least stick a note on him that he's a reg-- its pretty easy, even at the 6.5s, even 20+ tabling. Most low limit players are absolute donks. Embrace it. Enjoy the fact that it is typically profitable to stack off with TPTK heads up on a raised pot at t20, 75bb deep. Playing for stacks with TP and 150 in the pot and 1440 behind should *NOT* be profitable in poker, but it is at this level. The higher you move up, the more you need reads to be profitable. Sheer volume = > $$$ than reads when you can assume all 8 other players are donks and possibly be wrong about 1 of them. You're burning $$$ if you assume your low level opponents are good. I'd say that this is true through the 22s (or 27s on stars). It may have been true at the 60s before space started this ridiculous quest.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the thing. I play (mostly) low limit STTs cause I can play 25 at a time and its low stress. I'll be moving back up again, cause I feel like it, cause I'm way overrolled, and cause I think I'd make more $$$ in the long run, but there is a huge difference in play between even the 6.50s and the 11s/16s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played both too and I think the difference can be better characterised as "small". They'll still stack off lightish. There are just fewer absolute idiots.

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, you have tons of donks at both levels, but at the most you're gonna have about one other competent player at the table in a 6.5-- at even the next level, you've got a bubble with Finnisher, The Venetian, and Cardsoup-- all players that should probably be playing higher but aren't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I agree that's the difference.

[ QUOTE ]
In a 6.5, all it takes is one note like "leads a set" or "calls wide bvb" and you make a quick adjustment and don't make a mistake the next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

But why is that different higher?

[ QUOTE ]
And if you see someone is a reg, you should at least stick a note on him that he's a reg-- its pretty easy, even at the 6.5s, even 20+ tabling. Most low limit players are absolute donks. Embrace it. Enjoy the fact that it is typically profitable to stack off with TPTK heads up on a raised pot at t20, 75bb deep. Playing for stacks with TP and 150 in the pot and 1440 behind should *NOT* be profitable in poker, but it is at this level. The higher you move up, the more you need reads to be profitable. Sheer volume = > $$$ than reads when you can assume all 8 other players are donks and possibly be wrong about 1 of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would the same not be true at the next level up, if the difference is that there are more good players rather than that the standard is overall better?

[ QUOTE ]
You're burning $$$ if you assume your low level opponents are good.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, of course I don't assume they are good. But I don't assume they are all completely retarded either. And many posts here make that assumption.

Maybe they were a couple of years ago on party, but although they're bad, they're not *all* that bad.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say that this is true through the 22s (or 27s on stars). It may have been true at the 60s before space started this ridiculous quest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not at all disputing that the low limits have tons of players you couldn't call good. But there are shades of "not good" that cost you money to ignore.