Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 04:10 PM

Default 2/4 online QQ bet river?

Bet the river here?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (7.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB
Old 10-23-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Re: 2/4 online QQ bet river?

Meh. I'm fine w/ a check behind here without a read. We're beating 99/TT/JJ here and are probably losing the hand a large portion of the time.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:21 PM

with no reads a check is good. you will get called by a winning hand more than you will a losing one.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:24 PM

Sklansky's rule for betting the river last to act is it is correct if you win 55% when you are called. Ed Miller's rule might be a little different since you sometimes will get called with lots of hands.

Here we expect that when called we will not win 55% - that is my take, and that is why I checked - thanks
Old 10-23-2007, 05:34 PM

i would check the river.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:49 PM

uber-Standard
Old 10-24-2007, 07:27 AM

* grunch *

Without reads I probably wouldn't bet. Ax is a big part of HJ open-raiser's range I think.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:15 PM

Barry Tanenbaum wrote an article on value betting the river.

I know that this is a weakness of mine and I often get the river play wrong. I seem to bet when I should check and seem to check when I should bet. This is an ongoing struggle of mine.

Sklansky's 55% rule last to act might apply to other games than the ones that I play.

As a general rule, if I have no information to the contrary, is to bet and then fold to a raise. Against a player that will bluff raise, such players I find more online than live I think, that opens me up to a bluff-raise. A major mistake is folding the river for one bet when you would have won the hand. A minor mistake is betting and getting raised and then calling.

Therefore, I usually check a scare card as in this case. Especially an Ace. Live players love to call to the river with a single ace.

Another weakness of mine is reads. Once I was playing in a 6/12 game at AJs and had a very good read on a player and I was able to use it to my advantage. That's rare.

Online reads are a little more difficult for me even though I play on only one table at a time.

Each reply said sans a read then check it. Sound advice.

In order to bet the river with confidence I need to work on what he called me with on the turn - circle back to reads but also some logic. What would he call/raise me with here?

So, some homework for 3'ducks.

Review Poker Tracker hands 'went to showdown and lost' vs 'went to showdown and won'. Reread Barry's article again. Think about it.