Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Would this be angle shooting or cheating?

[ QUOTE ]
in situation 1 you would be forced to put all your chips in the pot in most rooms. action out of turn, including verbal, is binding.

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like OP simply took your thread, removed the finer details and reposted this.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:06 PM

Default WOULD THIS BE AN ANGLE SHOOT OR CHEATING?

I go up to the cage with three armed men with machine guns and grenades and say "Gimme the [censored] money."

Angleshoot or cheating?
Old 10-24-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
come on.... don't come around here looking for validation of obviously douchey behavior. you have 1771 posts, were the rest this stupid too?

[/ QUOTE ]

i was just wondering, i have and never would do any of this stuff obv
Old 10-24-2007, 04:01 AM

I believe:

Scenario 1: This is almost always the same. Verbal out of turn action is binding if the action before it doesn't change. So you can fold if your opponent moves all-in, but you have to move all-in if he checks.

Scenario 2: I believe this is much more location-specific. Sometimes the hand is declared dead but also sometimes it is declared the only possible winner by default (only hand left). I think this is because malicious intent is too hard to prove, and you could really have misread your hand/the board.

Some one relating this to theft is incorrect though. If I check to make you think I am weak, intending to check-raising you, am I stealing your money? If I bluff, am I stealing your money? Poker is about deception, but there is a line that separates acceptable from angle-shooting behavior. If you go even further it's cheating, but I think very few actions actually qualify as cheating (ace up your sleeve etc.). The difference between angle-shooting and cheating is semantics though, and if people qualify deliberately acting out of turn as cheating, then that's fine too.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I bluff, am I stealing your money? Poker is about deception, but there is a line that separates acceptable from angle-shooting behavior.

[/ QUOTE ]

As has already been pointed it, these are two distinct concepts which aren't really on a continuum. Deception is fine in poker when it relates to the meaning of one's clear, behavioral action (e.g. "does his check mean he's weak?"); it is angleshooting/cheating when the action itself is deceiving (e.g. betting all-in while knowingly having a large denomination chip buried).