Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 11:26 PM

Default Sending emails to potential employers

So this is kind of a weird question. I'm in school right now, and am currently looking for a job. I want to work somewhere that interests me, and is in my current field of study. So I've found some potential employers, and want to write them an email. Since they currently aren't advertising that they ARE hiring, how do I approach this?

Do I ask if they currently have any openings for students? Ask them if they offer internships? Do you point out your back round? Tell them what interests you about their particular firm? Point out your experience? Tell them you would like to work for them after graduation? How do I get an interview with someone who isn't actively hiring?

What's my play here? How do I make it sound like I'm interested for working for them, but don't come off to desperate, and how do I get them not to just discard my email right away....

These are small business' so I don't think they will just throw it away, but I also want to make a good impression, and hopefully get an interview.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:52 AM

Default Re: Sending emails to potential employers

[ QUOTE ]
What's my play here? How do I make it sound like I'm interested for working for them, but don't come off to desperate, and how do I get them not to just discard my email right away....

[/ QUOTE ]

Print it out and put a stamp on it.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:12 AM

Drop in ask if the manager is available. Chances are he or she won't be. Drop off a resume and ask the receptionist to give it to the boss and ask what the bosses name is and get a phone number. Call back in 2-3 days to follow up. Leave a message if you have to. Call back again in another few days if you don't get a call. If you keep trying and don't hear back in about 3 weeks then you did all you could.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Print it out and put a stamp on it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would def. suggest mailing it as well .An e-mail will most likely get lost in the shuffle ,unless it is being directly looked for by someone/or sent to a specific dept.requesting information about a job or a specific contact you may have at the company.
[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Drop in ask if the manager is available. Chances are he or she won't be. Drop off a resume and ask the receptionist to give it to the boss and ask what the bosses name is and get a phone number. Call back in 2-3 days to follow up. Leave a message if you have to. Call back again in another few days if you don't get a call. If you keep trying and don't hear back in about 3 weeks then you did all you could.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't do follow this advice, it's pretty rude and inconsiderate to drop in an office while people are working. You'd be remembered for all of the wrong reasons.

Best thing to do is mail them.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

These are small business' so I don't think they will just throw it away, but I also want to make a good impression, and hopefully get an interview.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this point is being missed. Oh and don't drop in.

Burko,

You should see if their website lists any people in the relevant department and just email one of them pointing out your background and providing a couple comments on why you would be a good fit. If none are listed, call the main line and ask for the email (for the love of god do not ask to be transfered) of the appropriate hiring manager.

Ask them if they are planning on coming to recruit on campus (OSU I presume)? You won't come off as needy or desperate because you are doing exactly what you should be doing; searching for a job.

As for more general advice, OSU I'm sure has tons of on campus events, just show up and talk to companies, interviewing them essentially.

J