Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 10:39 PM

Default 25NL TPTK against tight EP raiser

Villain is 33/4/1.1 over 33 hands. Hasn’t done anything remarkable.

UTG ($33 in chips)
UTG+1 ($13.50 in chips)
MP1 ($34.80 in chips)
MP2 ($23.90 in chips)
CO ($10.80 in chips)
BU ($12.10 in chips)
SB ($20.40 in chips)
Hero ($30.85 in chips)

Hero is BB with Kh As

UTG calls $0.25, UTG+1 raises $0.75 to $1, four folds, Hero calls $0.75, UTG calls $0.75

First, is the pre-flop call weak? My rationale was that I didn’t want to build a big pot OOP with a villain who seemed to raising very tight. Obviously, I don’t have enough stats to understand whether he’s positionally aware. But from UTG+1 I’m putting him on something like 99+, AQ+.

Flop ($2.35) Kd Qd 9s

Hero bets $2, UTG calls $2, UTG+1 calls $2

Turn ($8.35) Kd Qd 9s 5s

Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 bets $6, Hero???

OK, I’ve stacked off pretty big a couple of times in the past few days (although you all agreed that I made the right play both times), and I’m getting sick of it. Here, I have no idea what to do. KQ could very well be part of his range, but so could AQ or FDs.

So two questions:

One, was checking the turn horribly weak-tight? On the one hand, I’m in a multi-way pot with people who don’t seem to be going anywhere. On the other hand, I could be getting value out of worse hands and protecting myself against draws if I bet.

Second, as played, do I really want to get heavily involved in a pot with TPTK?
Old 10-23-2007, 11:28 PM

Default Re: TPTK against tight EP raiser

Reraise or fold preflop. Actually, if you really think the raiser is super tight, then there is nothing super terribly wrong with just folding AK here. But, in general, reraise preflop to $2.25 and fold to a preflop push. If tight-guy just calls, then on this particular flop vs this particular tight opponent, then you may consider c/f on the flop. If he has a weak pair (AQ/TT-JJ), then he will suspect that you have QQ-AA when you check (planning to c/r), so he probably won't bet without AK,QQ-AA, himself. JJ/TT, for example, in the hands of a 33/4/1.1, will probably check behind on this flop if you check, but KK/QQ probably bet hoping you c/r with AA/AK. If the flop is check/check, then a 1/2 pot turn bet with a plan to fold to a push will probably be enough to scare off all the hands you beat, and flush out of the woods any sandbagging monsters that slow-played the flop.