Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 08:35 PM

Default HUSNG: Common Situations against bad players

I play players who limp most of their hands on the button and then bet about 1/2 the pot(which is a min bet) on the flop or the turn. Early in the match I don't mind it so much because I see at as villain giving me a free shot to flop the nuts. As the tournament progresses though I feel like I am being exploited. I don't know what adaptation to make. I really don't want to play big pots out of position but giving up that big blind over and over again eats away at my chip stack. What do you do when facing an opponent like this

Ill give an example
Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t25/t50
2 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
SB: t845
Hero: t2155

Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB calls t25 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t75)</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t100, 2 players)
Hero checks, SB checks.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t100, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">SB bets t60</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: t60 returned to SB.

Results:
Final pot: t100
Old 10-23-2007, 08:37 PM

Default Re: HUSNG: Common Situations against bad players

If he does it everytime you check to him in an unraised pot then it is essentially a c-bet on his part. c/c sucks most of the time so I'd start stabbing out at him with as little as a gutshot. That's if he's doing it EVERY time.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:37 PM

IŽd also begin to lead some flops and to raise his limps and see how he reacts. IŽd say everyone who does limp that frequently sucks hard and is really exploitable.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:50 PM

You can exploit a player who limps otb very easily . If you check behind , you give yourself a free flop but you also give your opponent a free flop . If you raise , you give yourself additional ways to win the pot .

I usually raise button limpers quite frequently which works for me .
Old 10-23-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can exploit a player who limps otb very easily . If you check behind , you give yourself a free flop but you also give your opponent a free flop . If you raise , you give yourself additional ways to win the pot .

I usually raise button limpers quite frequently which works for me .

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that i face this problem v v often as well. Jay could u elaborate on what said earlier. Would like to know yr in-depth view on this
Old 10-23-2007, 11:33 PM

Jay,

I was under the impression that raising button limpers a lot was a bad idea since it builds a pot OOP. I thought it was best to only do so with really good hands and otherwise just take the free flop.

Could you explain your strategy a little more because it sounds very interesting. Also, what kind of range are you doing this with? Hands strong enough to call a PFR OOP with?
Old 10-23-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jay,

I was under the impression that raising button limpers a lot was a bad idea since it builds a pot OOP. I thought it was best to only do so with really good hands and otherwise just take the free flop.

Could you explain your strategy a little more because it sounds very interesting. Also, what kind of range are you doing this with? Hands strong enough to call a PFR OOP with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Jay. Please expand and dazzle us with your unmatched, Ferguson-like mathmatical prowess. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2007, 11:53 PM

It seems the more aggressive preflop a player is from the BB the worse his BB stats are.

This is just based on comparing stats with other husng players, obviously my player sample is super low but it's just something I've noticed.

I'm sure you could say the same about people that never raise their BB, but it seems you get better results not raising a lot of hands OOP.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:43 AM

As al low level player myself I run into these situations a lot.

I've tried raising these guys preflop when they limp, but they almost always call my 4-5x BB raises and that definitely puts me in a difficult position on the flop if I don't hit it. What I've found works best (so far) is to c/f the flop (if I miss) and raise the turn if he checks the flop. If these guys check behind you on the flop they almost always have nothing.

Your example is a bit tricky, but I would raise the turn to around 75. If he calls that I'd really want some insight from more experienced players on how to handle the river (I would probably bet there too, but I'm not sure that's the best play).

As I said, this is what has worked best for ME so far, but I'm pretty new to HUSNG so I'd really like some input to my line of thinking here.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what adaptation to make. I really don't want to play big pots out of position but giving up that big blind over and over again eats away at my chip stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

a button raiser would just take your big blind without even getting to see a flop. so you can see that a button limper is much, much easier to beat. don't worry about losing your big blind "over and over", it would be happening anyways against a decent opponent.

as for that flop, i'd lead out against a straightforward opponent who folds when he has nothing. if aggression with bottom pair isn't appropriate for the match, then just check and try to show down cheap and wait for the time you DO flop the nuts as he limps his button.