Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Re: question about 25NL

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so why did you carry on spending 10 minutes analysing each hand if it seemed pointless then?, could you give an example of this so i can understand and try plz? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did I do it? Because the only way to learn is by doing things repeatedly. I always wondered how top players knew how to make mathematically-based decisions so intuitively, and one day I realized that it's probably just becasue they've studied their asses off to know their stuff. Kinda like a math professor being able to calculate derivatives in his head. Kinda like an old hand in this forum can come in here, read a HH, and automatically know which line he would've taken.

Calculus is actually a great example. While I'm sitting there for hours just doing problems that seem completely redundant, I hate life. However I don't do calculus problems for fun, and I don't do them to get an A in the class- I do them so that I can really learn the material.

I'll give you an example of what I'll do. Keep in mind this is purely a math excersize and has nothing to do with reading opponents. That's a whole other animal. I'll work out the pot odds I'm getting on every street, and the pot odds I'm giving villain on every street. I'll run a hand sim in Pokerstove using villain's VPIP in pokertracker as his range, to figure out my equity. I'll then figure out the EV of fold/check, call, or raise just for fun. I'm writing all this down on the HH printout as I go along.

Once you do this for any particular hand, you're never going to make whatever mistake you made in the hand again. It's helped me a ton, and since you have the time, I'd say you should try a couple hands a day to get started!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be very interested in seeing a couple of examples of this. Thanks !
Old 10-23-2007, 07:12 PM

@basementproject: thanks very much!

@saal13: i play 6max at partypoker
i used to play 4 tables, but after my roll went down to $520 i decided to play 1 table then moved to 2 tables as it went up a little more to $580, i figured there must be something wrong with playing 4 tables, maybe im not getting enough reads. im enjoying playing 2 tables at the moment, im writing lots of notes on people and doing okish, still making few stupid mistakes but gradually building back up again i think.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:41 PM

shark_fishin,
I would recommend you play full ring. Full ring is easier to beat with a standard TAG strategy "hit-to-win". Once you can beat full ring NL$100 then look at 6-max. 6-max requires you too loosen up and make more player dependent judgment calls.

Party (and Full Tilt) is a good site as it can be datamined using freeware tools. So you can always make sure you are playing at good tables (e.g. 2/3 players with VPIP > 30%). Also, I would just buy SpadeEye instead of paying a monthly charge to SixthSense. It'll save you money and pretty much does the same job.

If you do switch to full ring. PM after you've played 300 - 400 hands and I'll look through them for you and point you in the right direction. It won't take long to start beating NL$25.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MrBump - I'll scan a few copies after my session tonight and post them in here soontimes!
Old 10-23-2007, 08:43 PM

thnx very much saal13 and bassementproject

thnx for the advice saal but i really dont like full ring, and i have to learn to get used to 6max as its my favourite game

thats very nice of you to offer to review my hands, but ill stick to 6max. thnx though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2007, 08:56 PM

Is this a joke ? 60k+ hands more or less break-even ? 50 Hours a week playing one table NL25 6 max ? And then you donīt take the offer that someone reviews your hands ?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:47 PM

I think the number of tables you play has a big influence.

When you are first starting out, you need to play a max of 3-4 tables.

I 8-tabled 25nl when I first started and ran about 1ptbb/100 for about 40k hands or something.

I dropped tables and ran about 6-7ptbb/100 for 25k hands.

After moving up to 50nl I jumped to 7-8 tabling again and ran about 1ptbb/100 for about 30k hands.

I have since dropped to 4 tabling and am doing better.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MrBump - I'll scan a few copies after my session tonight and post them in here soontimes!

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be great - This is a part of my game I need to work on! Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2007, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a joke ? 60k+ hands more or less break-even ? 50 Hours a week playing one table NL25 6 max ? And then you donīt take the offer that someone reviews your hands ?

[/ QUOTE ]

he offered it for playing FR i only want to play 6max, i played 4 tables most of the time, iv only recently started playin 2 tables, sometimes 3. i did this because i thought i might be running bad through having not enough reads on my opponents. and why would this be a joke anyway?

@ICmoney: yes i have been doing a little better now iv reduced the amount of tables im playing also [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2007, 11:04 AM

I think you should 1 table 6-max 25NL, you shouldn't multitable if you are not sure what to do, you should also try not to play out of position and you should not call other peoples raises too much. You should also be sure to know the theory behind how much you should bet at certain situations. You should also play aggressively, you can have alot of bad habits but still win if you are aggressive