Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Re: How many on here are Deists??

[ QUOTE ]
Define "Define"

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you the reincarnation of Socrates?

Well if that is the case maybe I should look to Hinduism for religious sanctity.

oh and I would be an off shoot of a Deist. I believe that a god created the universe, doesn't have anything to do with how it is run, but I dont really by into an after life. I guess that might mean Im atheist but scared to admit it?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Define "Define"

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you the reincarnation of Socrates?

Well if that is the case maybe I should look to Hinduism for religious sanctity.

oh and I would be an off shoot of a Deist. I believe that a god created the universe, doesn't have anything to do with how it is run, but I dont really by into an after life. I guess that might mean Im atheist but scared to admit it?

[/ QUOTE ]

By your definition the phrase 'god created the universe' means nothing.

You're an atheist if you understand this, if you don't and believe in concepts which have no meaning (and thus have to be fantasized), then you're a theist.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:11 AM

I understand what you are saying. Just so you know the last line was intended as a joke (all be it a bad one.)
Old 10-23-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] By your definition the phrase 'god created the universe' means nothing.

You're an atheist if you understand this, if you don't and believe in concepts which have no meaning (and thus have to be fantasized), then you're a theist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously this time, please define why you are saying that "God created the Universe" means nothing. I believe God, some great energy, supreme being, probably something that no one will ever know exactly what it is, created this world.

According to the Big Bang Theory, the universe was created by an extremely dense and hot state. Where did this state come from?? Was it created?? 13.7 billion years ago, what happened???
Old 10-23-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

By your definition the phrase 'god created the universe' means nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously this time, please define why you are saying that "God created the Universe" means nothing. I believe God, some great energy, supreme being, probably something that no one will ever know exactly what it is, created this world.

According to the Big Bang Theory, the universe was created by an extremely dense and hot state. Where did this state come from?? Was it created?? 13.7 billion years ago, what happened???

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow
Old 10-23-2007, 04:31 PM

Are you kidding me. Some of us aren't as so-called knowledgeable as you in these matters. So please explain if you're just going to state "Wow". I would like to hear what you have to say.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:45 PM

If something is unknowable or unknown, then it doesn't solve anything or help us understand anything if you label this problem with a name and a concept and then declare that you believe in it.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If something is unknowable or unknown, then it doesn't solve anything or help us understand anything if you label this problem with a name and a concept and then declare that you believe in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It helps some people. There are really people out there that think a bad or wrong answer is better than none at all, just so they can stop thinking about it.

Sure, we learn nothing from it so it's useless from a global standpoint, but for individuals of a certain type of mind it's a boon.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:50 PM

I'm a deist, and I'm not sure where the person who made the wikipedia entry on deism got their information, but I do not believe that God wants man to behave morally, nor do I believe that there is an afterlife, and thus do not believe that our actions have moral import beyond the obvious.

Deism is simply a belief that there is some higher power responsible for the existance of the universe. Everything else that was asserted afterwards is theistic. Deism != Theism.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:59 PM

I got it straight from wikipedia, quote for quote....