Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Should the Pats be running up the score on everybody in garbage ti

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gregg Easterbrook chimes in with more anti-Pats venom in yet another completely over-the-top column:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...p;sportCat=nfl

I haven't heard one coach or commentator argue that the Pats are purposely running up the score to humiliate each and everyone of their opponents to the extent Easterbrook thinks they are. His facts on the Dallas situation are wrong, and his seething hatred for every single thing the Patriots have done is almost mind-boggling in its intensity. Just wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

bill simmons, an avid pats fan, thinks they are running up the score for a similar reason?

[/ QUOTE ]

Link?
Old 10-23-2007, 03:52 PM

It must just be the media. There is no way that Belichick is actually a control freak dick, right? It is all a conspiracy to make the Patriots look bad.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:09 PM

gregg easterbrook = our very own edge?
Old 10-23-2007, 04:10 PM

Easterbrook is a loon. He bends facts to fit his theories, even when they don't even come close to fitting the theory.

E.g., a few years ago, he always preached against the "fraidy cat punt", a punt within the opponent's 40 yard line while behind. He consistently cited instances of those types of punts happening. Then, in the playoffs, the Colts punt from the Pats 49 yard line in a 3-3 game. This doesn't fit his theory at all because the Colts are on the 49, not the 40, and the game is tied. In fact, the Colts had been stopping the Pats all day. Yet he trots out his "fraidy cat punt" schtick and claims that punt is why the Colts lost.

He also complains about teams being "pass whacky." He marvels at the fact that the Cards threw the ball so much with a 23-3 lead (the infamous "crown their ass" game). He completely exaggerated because the score was only 23-3 in the third quarter, not the fourth. So he was complaining that the Cards weren't grinding the ball by running. But the Cards were only up 23-10 and there was still 15 minutes left. That is not the time to "grind the clock". He also failed to point out that the Bears stuffed the running game all day long, allowing only 66 yards rushing. It was basically impossible for the Cards to win that game by grinding it out.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It must just be the media. There is no way that Belichick is actually a control freak dick, right? It is all a conspiracy to make the Patriots look bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, there's no question that he is.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Easterbrook is a loon. He bends facts to fit his theories, even when they don't even come close to fitting the theory.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-23-2007, 04:21 PM

The best part is, if it was Belicheck's son who had committed suicide and had the myspace page that was as disturbing as it was, you can damn well be sure Easterbrook would have mentioned it. Now, I like Dungy, and it's a terrible, terrible thing what happened to him, but this "good v. evil" thing because Belicheck frowns and Dungy smiles is a crock. People don't live perfect lives.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:30 PM

My favorite thing Easterbrook does is pick out one play with a bad outcome and states how it cost a team the game. Often it will be something like a pass on 3rd down instead of a run with a 14 point lead. Then the other team kicked a field goal with 3 seconds left and won! If they ran it up the middle on 3rd down with 6 minutes left, there wouldn't be 3 seconds left! Game over!

i.e., he's a clown, but an interesting one so I usually read it anyway. Lately I've just been skimming, though.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My favorite thing Easterbrook does is pick out one play with a bad outcome and states how it cost a team the game. Often it will be something like a pass on 3rd down instead of a run with a 14 point lead. Then the other team kicked a field goal with 3 seconds left and won! If they ran it up the middle on 3rd down with 6 minutes left, there wouldn't be 3 seconds left! Game over!

i.e., he's a clown, but an interesting one so I usually read it anyway. Lately I've just been skimming, though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Or his new pet theory, since the average run is 3 yards, you should almost always go for it on 4th and 3 or less (except when deep in your own territory.)
Old 10-23-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Or his new pet theory, since the average run is 3 yards, you should almost always go for it on 4th and 3 or less (except when deep in your own territory.)

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow I'm trying to figure out what is the biggest flaw in that theory.
That average run =! median run
That TOD =! First Down
Ignore clock
Ignores score
Ignores specific team/game tendencies