Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 05:33 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.
Default Re: English Football. (long)

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe in the future, guys like Theo, Hoyte, Lita, Agonhalor, Young, etc. will get a chance, but they are still young and need to improve more to play on the national team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lita shouldn't be in the Premiership, much less on the national team. Every game I see him play he is just horrid.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:16 AM

Id just like to mention two things sorry if they have already been covered.
I think there is far too much emphasis on competition in organized youth football. Coaching youth football pays less then reserve or first team coaching and the way to get promoted is to get results with the youth team. Consequently full eleven aside matches are given too much emphasis. Young players can’t get a game if they’re too small and they are castigated for giving position away in their own half it all leads to Academies producing big physical guys who are uncomfortable with the ball in tight situations. I believe there are FA initiatives to change youth coaching in England we will have to wait ten years or so to see if they work.
Fifa's directives to referees to tighten up and give more yellow cards before all major tournament disproportionately hurt the British teams because we all domestically play a more physical pressing game where we put in tackles high up the pitch and more often.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:04 AM

why don't they work on making the big guys more comfortable with the ball?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:46 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

I always watch this video. Since it is one of my favorite sequences ever. However, it seems like in most leagues they would blow play dead for that tackle(even though it was just PERFECT) and that goal would never have happened. Beautiful tackles like that are the redeeming part of the english game imo.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:39 PM

Just found this blog article,

http://cid-ad31191fcff43d21.spaces.l...m/default.aspx

An interesting read and it agrees with many of the points raised here.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:58 PM

The fact that the EPL is the best (or second best) league in world says very little about English football.

Thankfully, the Premiership is blessed with such an influx of Spanish, French, South American and African (etc) players. For the best teams in England, players of English nationality are at most a small plurality.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:03 PM

Eh, Livershite, ManU, and Chelsea have a decent amount. Arsenal have Theo, who will be the [censored] in 3 years, guaranteed. He scored todsy. Just wait, I think Arsenal's academy will start producing some more English talent. We have a few young guys coming up. ManCity have two young players who are emerging as well (Richards and Johnson).
Old 10-23-2007, 05:48 PM

The way arsenal played tonight is the way the game was intended. fluent attacking football, every player comfortable on the ball, a team full of english players could simply not play such football. some are good, even world class players in two cases, (gerrard and rooney), but they can not produce anything close to the standard arsenal did tonight.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:02 PM

So Gerrard and Rooney wouldnt make it to the starting 11 of Arsenal you think?
Old 10-23-2007, 09:55 PM

no doubt they are good enough to play in the team. but they could not play football in the way arsenal do. they are good but its a totally different style, they are not capable of it. they have other qualities which arsenal players do not. they throw fits, they complain, they can kick people, they can play long ball football, they dive, when going is tough they can get results through sheer determination, they play with english passion, otherwise known as ball chasing and hard tackling.

obviously some arsenal players have these attributes also. but i dont think gerrard and rooney could play for arsenal because arsenal play as a team, where as gerrard and rooney are the stars, the team would have be built around them, which they are at man utd and liverpool.