Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 04:08 AM

Default Re: LASIK Vision Correction

[ QUOTE ]
I'm one of the "best decisions I ever made" people. I never liked things touching my eye and never wore contacts because of this but the lasik wasn't bad at all. I don't know if it's still true but back when I got mine done it was PRK=Painful LASIK=No problem

[/ QUOTE ]

Those in the "best decision" camp, did you wear contacts, or go from glasses to Lasik?

With modern contacts and good hygiene, why is this such a huge benefit over wearing contacts? Seems to me that you get the benefit of an extra few minutes of clear vision in the morning and can go swimming. Neither of these are important to me, weighed against the risks (albeit tiny) and lack of long-term results.

Am I missing something else?
Old 10-23-2007, 04:27 AM

It's just so much better, no longer stumbling blind to the bathroom to put in the contacts in the morning, don't have that gritty feeling of having my contacts in my eyes for too long, don't have to worry about a contact falling out ever. It doesn't seem like it's that much better, but it is.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:53 AM

Great thread... I am a meteorologist, and having to be on TV every day, I care about my appearance. I hate how I look with glasses, but can't see without them. I've tried contacts but have never been able to deal with them for more than a few hours at a time. After reading this, I think I'm definitely going to get Lasik done.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:36 AM

Contacts dont have to be tha tmuch of a hassle, I wear monthly disposables, you keep them in constantly for the month so only have to make a change once every thirty days.

I do fancy having laser correction but I still feel there isnt enough long term results information available, its still a newish procedure who knows what the effects are going longer term 20-30 years down the line.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:57 AM

I don't see any reason to not wait say 5 years. Medicine is always improving, who knows how much better, how much more effective the treatment will be, and how much less risk there will be in 5 years.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:04 AM

once you get to 40-45 you'll need reading glasses anyway..so for me this is a no-brainer. Last year or so I just switched over to progressive lenses in my glasses(bifocals) ..I'm 45 and I kept swapping my regular near sighted glasses(~5.00) and my reading/computer glasses.

Since I swim/surf/bodysurf/dive/run regularly I have mulled this over for the last ten years.

The biggest issue for me had always been that my pupils were large like 8mm -the Wavefront guided technology now has better results w/larger pupils..still thu you will have a higher chance of issues w/ night driving/starbursts but much improved from years past.

Anyway as you get older you have to wear reading lasses anyway so if you are very active physically or want to travel the globe this is a no-brainer as long as you do you research and use a reputable doc.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see any reason to not wait say 5 years. Medicine is always improving, who knows how much better, how much more effective the treatment will be, and how much less risk there will be in 5 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reason #1: Next year

Reason #2: The year after

Reason #3: The following year

Reason #4: Fourth year out

Reason #5: That fifth year.

I know there are some reasons to wait, but I think these five reasons are pretty good. If they come out with something newer and better, I'm sure there will be ways to accomodate those with previous work done.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:50 AM

Fair enough. All I'm saying is that in 5 years that 2% chance of a failed surgery might be down to 0%.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:32 PM

How long has LASIK been around? I always wonder about the long term effects.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:49 PM

LASIK itself has been around since 1990, but laser eye surgery has been around for a little bit longer than that. Bottom line is, if you go to a GOOD doctor (not the ones advertising 100 an eye, try at least 800 an eye), they will not let you do the surgery if they do not think your eyes are qualified for the surgery. If this is the case, the chance of major problems is A LOT less than 1/10k. Of course, complications are always going to arise, but this has little to do with the actual surgery and more with the post-surgery care (like infections, scratches, flap issues, etc). The wiki page has more information about each possible risk and the percentage chance for each. read up and youll see the risk of anything major/permanent happening is quiet low. Also, you can remove all the risks with the flap by getting PRK.