Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Heatsink issues

[ QUOTE ]
What utility do you suggest? I say stable as in all my programs still opened like normal and nothing slowed down like it would if my old p4 1.6ghz was running 70C+.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always test my builds with prime95. If you have a dual core+ it is a good idea to run an instance on each core. Run the torture test for a couple hours I would say. In practice I have found that a pc that can run p95 for even say 20 minutes without errors is usually quite solid but the nits would go for like 24 hours.

Now considering you are running at stock voltage/clock speed the chance of your proc being flaky is pretty small. But given the high temps, plus if you are worried about any possible damage it couldn't hurt and isn't much effort.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:43 PM

The Prime95 benchmark has me right on pace with what is on the site listed for my proc.

On the torture test, do I just use the third one down that it is defaulted to?

All temps look good in asus probe while running. 44-49C idle and topped at 53C during benchmark which had me at 50% CPU according to task manager.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:56 PM

your temps are looking much better, good news. I would run two instances of the 'blend' prime95 torture test. Search for my username +prime95 +affinity for cth and I have instructions how to set this up. Otherwise you will only be testing on 1 core.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:10 PM

have you clean out all the vents on the case? is there is a speed control for the case fan? Do you have cables blocking airflow through the case? If it cools when the side is off but heats up when the case is closed sounds like a problem with case ventilation.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
have you clean out all the vents on the case? is there is a speed control for the case fan? Do you have cables blocking airflow through the case? If it cools when the side is off but heats up when the case is closed sounds like a problem with case ventilation.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh this is not issue. This all happened cause i took it outside and turned air compressor to 5psi and blew out everything with some real easy air. I must have tried to remove heatsink when I did it and it was loose when PC turned off. So we are dust free. I have a lian li case with four case fans with two intake that are filtered and all clean. PSU fans spotless, CPU fan spotless, GFX fan spotless. blowing out the dust made things drop from 50-55C idle and 65-75C load to 45-50C idle and 55-60C load.

Booting tonight for the time period I ran the pc I was in the upper 40s whole time and under 50% cpu load I hit 53C before leveling to 52C. So all in all very cool temps for the 3ghz p4 prescott core. most people I know with this same processor see much warmer temps to the point they went to get a zalman fan and heatsink. I still run stock heatsink and fan since I never had an issue like they did. I have had this box together since Feb 05.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:12 PM

Just wanted to bump this and say thanks for the help. Been a few days now and running 45-50C idle and around 53-57C under a full load. Torture test went well, found a copy of Sisoft Sandra and I match up just right with processors in the same speed range as mine so I am guessing no damage done. Again big thanks for the help, I thought I killed my machine.