Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Simple situation - your range here?

$2.25 18-player SnG. 11 Players left (top 4 paid).
Blinds t60/120
Your table:

UTG: 2,300
MP: 2,300
BTN: 900
SB (YOU): 2,000
BB: 5,000

BTN is a tight/passive player. About 10 hands ago, he declined to call all-in on a very wet board, leaving himself with a short stack. He has open shoved twice since that hand, taking down the pot uncontested both times.

No other specific reads, although most pots have been heavily contested since getting down to 5 handed.

UTG limps.
MP limps.
BTN goes all-in for t900.

What hands are you shoving with here? What hands are you laying down? How do you approach these decisions in real time?
Old 10-22-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Simple situation - your range here?

AT+, 88+ no idea why though. Just my initial reaction.

Could be/probably way off here though. I think he's trying to steal the limpers blinds.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:29 PM

How much (if at all) is your decision impacted by the fact that no one in this very active environment has released a hand yet, and the big stack would now be getting 1.6:1 to call? When you make this decision, do you assume your push will cut off the rest of the action? How often do you expect BTN to turn up a real hand here?
Old 10-22-2007, 02:36 PM

Don't know if this range is EV, but I'm pushing with 88-JJ and maybe QQ and AQs+/AKo. I'm smooth calling with KK-AA and QQ sometimes and getting it in on the flop.

The reason I would smooth call some hands is to entice one of the limpers or BB to call with a marginal hand and extract some more chips (even if this means allowing a weaker hand to hit the flop and jump ahead of you) - I think you make up for this the times that you get it AI ahead or cause another caller to fold on the flop.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:36 PM

I'm probably pushing like 70-80% on the button there, the only things I'm tossing are really garbage like 42 since I'm getting called a lot. I think you guy's calling ranges are way too tight, 88+ AQ+ are you kidding? I mean you can't seriously be folding AQo there, or AJ for that matter. In your shoes I'm thinking something like 66+ A9+ KJ+...I mean cmon, he has to be pushing just about anything. You think he's open folding A2 on the button with 7 BBs? I would probably be calling wider than the range I listed since you guys have me thinking too conservative with your 88+ AQ+ ranges.