Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Re: ALIENWARE m9750: help me customize!

[ QUOTE ]
Also, what provide me with higher quality music- a solid state drive or a standard hard drive?

[/ QUOTE ]
The HD doesn't matter... more like the quality of your soundcard and bitrate of the music.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:51 PM

Can somebody explain what makes alienware better than a dell or hp that is built with similar parts??
Old 10-19-2007, 12:43 AM

nothing
Old 10-19-2007, 02:06 AM

Alienware has 1920 x 1200 screens for more laptops than any other company Ive seen...
Old 10-19-2007, 04:21 AM

Ifyou are going to drop a couple grand on a lappy you might want to check out http://www.notebookforums.com/index.php?index

They have a general section, but also have separate forums for most major brands of laptops.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
an actual conversation i had before...

me: wow this new game is coming out, its gonna be awesome, I cant wait to buy it, I am gonna have to upgrade my video card though before i get it.

dude: Yeah im getting it, and my system can run it no problem...

Me: wow really, what kind of computer do you have? intel? AMD? what kind of videocard monitor setup are you running.

Dude: Alienware dude.

Me: ohhh is it a AMD? how fast? memory? HD?

Dude: no, none of that crap. its a Alienware

Me: oh sweet.

Dude: *nodding head* "yup its an Alienware"

Me: *walking away now

imo' this is the kinda guy alienware targets, they got lots of money and dont know much about computers. they just know alienware is kickass

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, I have been getting this a lot lately from multiple people. My current plan is to build a top-notch desktop and save roughly $1500+ from a slightly inferior Alienware build ($2750 max versus $4250 for the Alienware). This includes my buying better vid-cards than I would get on the Alienware system and spending liberally on a box that would house very advanced cooling systems and all sorts of space for any potential upgrades I could think of in the future. And seriously, more than one person has told me it isn't worth it, just buy the Alienware. Call me crazy but I can't fathom spending an extra $1500+ just to get the same computer, even if I have to spend a bit of time putting it all together. As long as it doesn't take me a month of 40 hour weeks to build, it is probably worth the effort.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, I have been getting this a lot lately from multiple people. My current plan is to build a top-notch desktop and save roughly $1500+ from a slightly inferior Alienware build ($2750 max versus $4250 for the Alienware). This includes my buying better vid-cards than I would get on the Alienware system and spending liberally on a box that would house very advanced cooling systems and all sorts of space for any potential upgrades I could think of in the future. And seriously, more than one person has told me it isn't worth it, just buy the Alienware. Call me crazy but I can't fathom spending an extra $1500+ just to get the same computer, even if I have to spend a bit of time putting it all together. As long as it doesn't take me a month of 40 hour weeks to build, it is probably worth the effort.

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP wants a laptop so trying to build his own is out of the question, but overall I agree with your opinion...AW is way overpriced.

With that said have you ever looked at Cyberpower computers? Their gaming comps tend to be the cheapest I have found. One friend said he compared a speced out comp and then at newegg, and the price diff in parts wasn't all that much. The major issue seems to be the build quality and CS, but if you can work on comps yourself, these probs are usually easy to fix.