Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 05:28 AM

Default Calculators. Do they really help? Are they considered cheating?

Hello,

I am a newbie to online poker and so far I’ve just played Texas Hold‘em with friends. I thought it would be fun to try and play online poker. I was wondering what the deal is with odds calculators. My friend suggested a free one at pokerwingman. He suggested that I use it to get started. He told me it helps coach him by giving him suggestions of when to fold or when to bet, but I wanted to get other opinions on odds calculators. Do they really help? Are they considered cheating? Does anyone use them?

After doing a little bit of searching and reading thru alot of "online poker calculator ", I came across this:

http://software-on-line.com/programinfo/66183

but I just don't see how it would help "cheat" as many people at the tables claim...

Description:
Online Hold'em Inspector is an add-on software for online Texas Hold'em poker game. If you run the Inspector while playing online holdem, it will capture all the upcards from the game table and display detailed hold'em stats for all betting rounds instantly.

There's no need to enter your hole cards or board cards. The program does all the work for you. All you have to do is concentrate on your game and glance at the stats as you play. It also plays action sounds to recommend what to do when it's your turn to act.
http://software-on-line.com/programinfo/66183
Old 10-20-2007, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Calculators. Do they really help? Are they considered cheating?

Hey welcome to the forums [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Odds calculators are helpful for new players in recognizing your outs, the probability that you will make your draw etc. Most experienced players do not use them because it's something you come to learn to do yourself pretty quickly. Recognising draws becomes second nature, and I just use the rule of 4/2 to calculate my approximate odds of my draw hitting( (no of outs)*4= approx odds of making draw on the turn or river, (no of outs)*2= approx odds of making draw on the river only).

I'm not very familiar with the program you mention. From what you've said I would not consider it cheating, but it depends a lot on what site you play at. Most sites distinguish between software that helps you make your decision and software that automates the decision (i.e. with no user input) for you, allowing the former but not the latter. Some sites are stricter than this.

The only feature that would really worry me in terms of whether it is cheating is "Plays action sounds to recommend what to do when it's your turn to act (based on current profile)." Some sites may not allow this, but to be honest I doubt it would work very well anyway- there are too many complicating factors for a free computer program to tell you what to do with any high level of accuracy. It may be a good guide for you as you learn, so long as you are careful with the results and use your own judgment. (i.e. be careful drawing to a straight on a flush board or paired board because you could be drawing dead to a flush or full-house anyway).

Really the only way to know for sure is to check the site's terms and conditions. From a moral-standpoint I wouldnt' worry too much about it giving you an unfair advantage- the calculator functions are in common usage by those who need them, and i suspect the more advanced features aren't very accurate anyway.

Hope this helps [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].
Old 10-20-2007, 07:51 AM

I think that in Fixed Limit Hold'em, calculators can be very useful since you see directly your pot odds versus odds that you hit the draw.

In No-Limit I don't see them very useful because profits come from implied odds. I mean you almost always draw against odds but get profits on later streets if you hit the draw.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:17 AM

You must have planned this spam for hours. I give you a 3/10 score since your putting in alot of effort. Next time use the 4month old account to welcome your 3day old account to the forum and not the 1hour old account. This way you gain alot more credibility and ton of people will click on your links and you will make big bucks.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You must have planned this spam for hours. I give you a 3/10 score since your putting in alot of effort. Next time use the 4month old account to welcome your 3day old account to the forum and not the 1hour old account. This way you gain alot more credibility and ton of people will click on your links and you will make big bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL, nh! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2007, 11:37 AM

OHI is nice tool, but only for beginners. Unfortunately it's banned at PokerStars (they are known for taking sometimes retarted decisions, so take care if you use it there). You can use it in all other poker rooms.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL, nh! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]