Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 06:08 AM

Default Donk or Not to Donk that is the question???

So I had a very interesting session tonight at the local brink and mortar joint in sacramento. The limelight. A funny little whole in the wall that seconds as a bar. Anyway I was playin 1/3 NL I worked my way up to about 350 just a little less, since i short buy in this game. The game was crazy live straddles round after round. I [censored] you not, JC Tran's older brother was on my right. Took over the table, had like 1900 in front of him. He looked the part also, starched shirt, rolex, toothpick, and a jade necklace. Great guy also, bought me a beer.

Anyway, There was a live 10, from a HYPO Aggressive donk. He paid me off on a 842 rainbow board for my double up with 108 off against my set of 2. I have kjcc from utg+2. I make it 30 to go. I get two callers one in the cutoff and the other the straddler(the donk) flop comes 8c 10c 4h. check. I bet 45. cutoff folds. donk raises to 100. I had 340 at the start had 100 invested. 200+ back. I go all in. good move bad move? my thoughts are that he raises and calls EXTREMELY WEAKLY. figured that with my draw and overs i dont have fold equity. Thoughts would be appreciated. He felted me by the way. And I hit a j on the turn giving me a full 17 outs.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Donk or Not to Donk that is the question???

Standard and appropriate play imo. Against a player this aggressive, you could easily be pushing that $200 as an equity favorite on this flop, but not nearly as likely to be a favorite on the turn. So, he had two pair instead of top pair or a straight draw or a flush draw. Tough break, but I think you played it correctly.

soda
Old 10-20-2007, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Donk or Not to Donk that is the question???

hmmmm... good q.
a) I like having some sort of combo draw and hero really only has the FD with overs here.
b) I like having FE when I do this.

That way I can win two ways against at least TPTK. side note: I flopped a GSSFD the other night in a 1/2nl game that plays like 2/5nl. It was so juicy!