Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 06:27 PM

Default With these objective, what is...

the best level to play at?

My main purpose is to discover a proper VPIP/PFR/AF while learning ideas for situation-specific play. I would like to practice utilizing REM & SPR from PNLHEv1.

Unfortunately, my bankroll is >$150 at the moment. At what level, considering my bankroll, would be best for my overall objectives?

FYI, My overall stats are 27/15/2.18/3,391 -11bb/100 at 2NL. My most recent daily stats were:

10/19/07: 23/12/1.77/172 +53bb/100
10/18/07: 28/12/1.71/322 -30bb/100
10/17/07: 25/15/1.60/20 +146bb/100

I cannot thank all of you enough for your comments.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:45 PM

Default Re: With these objective, what is...

And to think I just play poker just using pot odds, reads and solid starting hands.

I must suck because I could never think about all these things at once.

Is that bad? I just try to put my money in when I think I have the best hand based on my reads and go for draws when the pot odds are correct.

Am I doomed to being a mediocre hold-em player? I'm doing fairly well so far.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:48 PM

Do you play full ring or 6 max? If full ring, your VPIP is really high. People at 2NL love to call, so you win money by playing strong hands, especially in position and betting them strongly. If you have a hand like Q8, even if you flop top pair, it's not that great against 3-4 other people.

I think you meant "less than $150", but either way, I would stick to 2NL until you are beating it, then move up. It's not the best place to practice advanced concepts, but you have to learn the basics first, then move on from there.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:03 PM

okey let's assume you play full ring, you should really just play the top hands in position, try to go close to 4-8% pfr, with a 14 max VPIP or even less.
and about bankroll you should keep playing 2 NL until you feel comfortable about your game, then you should move to 10 NL with at least 200$ (I'd say go for 300$)
GL
Old 10-19-2007, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I do play full ring, as I think 6-max can create some extremely loose habits.

Yes, I have 'less than' $150 and used the wrong symbol.

My VPIP has trended downward from 30, so I think I'm on my way there. I haven't quite figured out a good figure for my PFR. I have been under the impression that, for the most part, any hand worth limping/calling is worth raising. Only if I'm looking for a high SPR (for a draw or concealed TP-type hand) do I tend to limp/call.

My VPIPs by position are (from BTN to SB) 35.51, 26.93, 24.21, 22.64, 18.68, 20.07, 25.2, BB 20.99, SB 45.84. My numbers seem to be trending in the right direction. I have just recently cut down on my steal attempts from the Button along with not completing the SB as often. I'm a little more selective which hands I play from BTN & SB, so that VPIP should he dropping.

Windforce, doesn't a VPIP of 14% seem to be a bit nitty. I would like to be at least loose enough to get paid off on my big hands, targeting a VPIP of 22-25%. Also, is the suggestion to reduce my PFR mean to limp/call at little more and raise a little less?

Thanks for all your replies.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:53 PM

FWIW, here are my position stats for 2NL at Stars. (Small sample, but it's all I have)

My VPIP is a bit higher than I normally play, but that is an effect of a lot of people limping, and few raises preflop, making it possible to limp cheaply to try to hit a big hand. Note that you want to limit this mostly to cards with 'big hand' potential (pairs, SCs, etc)

Old 10-19-2007, 10:12 PM

Thanks Airman. Unfortunately, I cannot read your chart. There are a lot of limpers at 2NL. It is possible that we may have crossed paths.

As far as limping, I try to minimize my limping into multi-way pots from HJ onward. I used to limp seemingly every time from SB, and my numbers reflect that negatively. I find that when I limp from EP or MP, somebody in LP tends to bump it up significantly, to $.20, preflop. I will only come along if I'm willing to call such a raise.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:14 AM

I don't think there is a proper VPIP/PFR/AF.Some people win playing lag type numbers,some people win with more tag like numbers.
You should really be adjusting to your table, if it is loose play tight if it tight play loose.Just try to make the right plays and the numbers for YOUR game will sort them selfs out.