Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Trying to become more of a winning player.

Let me start by saying, I have always been an aggressive player, but lately I have been trying to be more controlled. So far it is not working out for me. I think my biggest problem is variance, with some bad poker mixed in.

Here are some of the things I have done to improve my game. I have been studying winning players on pokerxfactor, I bought poker tracker, poker edge, and poker Ace HUD(Still haven't been able to get them working right), I have read countless books, etc...

I have been watching my stats, and trying to keep my come into pot numbers around 19% - 20%. I should point out that I play mostly $5 - $20 45 ppl SNG's. I also play in MTT's with buy ins of $24+$2 - $50+$5.

I will not lie, I am a losing player, I am trying to change that.

I am not a player that is looking for a range of hands, but how do I know if I am playing too tight? I rarely will call on the flop if I miss. I need to have a good draw against the right player. Not just two overs and a gutshot straight draw(ex. AK with a QJ4 on board) unless the pot odds are right in relation to my stack size.

I raise on the button when I feel it is a good bet, but I am not a loose cannon and raise just to raise and steal. I do not do very many button raises early. My range of hands is very tight early in a tournament.

I used to gamble early when the blinds are low, but my philosophy now is to wait and use my chips to double up later in the tourney. The unfortune issue is that when I miss I am severly short stacked or broke.

Any suggestions and/or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Trying to become more of a winning player.

there is no 'poker recipe' out there to follow and become a winning player. It sounds to me like you think there is some magic formula that we have and you don't, but that's not the truth. You have to adjust to your opponents and play their leaks, it's that simple. Sometimes its the most profitable to play super tight and other times its profitable to raise every hand. The best players know when to implement these strategies because they read their opponents tendencies. good luck
Old 10-18-2007, 02:36 PM

Is there anything I can do to improve my reads? Any excersizes etc...

I am fairly adept at knowing when to raise based on both my image and my opponents image. I understand betting patterns somewhat, but could definitely be better at it.

What are some of the key things I should be looking for? How do i recognize their leaks? I know live I am better player winning more than losing. I'm just having a really hard time transalating that to online.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TBH, at levels you play, you don't need any sophisticated reads beyond what VPIP/PFR pokertracker stats will show you. Reraise loose raisers, steal blinds from tighties, exploit the bubble, play technically sound poker, and you'll do fine without paying any attention to the tables. Read/post Small Stakes MTT forum.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

play more poker, review your hand histories, watch good players.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:46 PM

I'm no mega winner by any means..and I'm constantly looking to improve my game. I believe thats where it starts...recognize that there are holes in your game..some..have many small holes...some have a few large holes...find them..recognize them...and seal them up. I think where the good players move onto great playing..is that they recognize others weakness...play some tournaments...low buy in...cover your hole cards...and just play the people..not the cards...you may lose...but it will teach you to recognize tendencies..and position..not playing your cards....and you'll never overplay AA or KK again...you'll instead be playing your opponents regardless of your cards...If you watch the great players...they don't care what they hold..if they find a weak player..they exploit...if they're in good position...they reraise..or push....if they're out of position...they fold...Could help your game....IMO
Old 10-19-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Practice.

Follow along with the hands at your table (even if you are not involved in the hand) and try to put people on hands. This will make a better hand reader.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:09 PM

Also...where's the math? Have you ever done a mathematical analysis of a hand? Get Pokerstove. It will help you figure out the equity of a hand vs. other hands at the table (including ranges).

For every interesting hand, do a mathematical analysis as to what was your equity in that hand (odds of winning) and how much did you call/raise for.

Determine if the moves were +EV.

Like someone said read/post in the SSMTT forum. Pay special attention to posters who use math to explain their play.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also...where's the math? Have you ever done a mathematical analysis of a hand? Get Pokerstove. It will help you figure out the equity of a hand vs. other hands at the table (including ranges).

For every interesting hand, do a mathematical analysis as to what was your equity in that hand (odds of winning) and how much did you call/raise for.

Like someone said read/post in the SSMTT forum. Pay special attention to posters who use math to explain their play.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL math is for nerds, I don't even know what equity means
Old 10-19-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL math is for nerds, I don't even know what equity means

[/ QUOTE ]

ah well if you're inherently gifted...disregard. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I'm not saying do math all day. But, for those who just read books and play hands, doing the math will show you why the expert advice works. It's an eye opener and makes you more comfortable with aggressive play.