Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Card Player and AP mess

[ QUOTE ]
I go back a long way. There was a time maybe ten years ago, when I remember some high end tournament players were stone busted for chip dumping and another that was caught bringing in chips (I'm not going to risk mis-identifying them). Not one of these ever saw the light of day in 'Card Player'. In that rag, poker is without flaw, because evey additional card player is $$$ for 'Card Player'. It's not too hard to imagine some of the other enterprises that have a big incentive to make poker look virginal.

So don't expect this AP BS to get much industry reportage. More likely it will get none. Which always makes me wonder just how much scum flies below the radar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Card Player did mention Pat Fleming by name. His problems were in 2000 maybe late 1999.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They do have an article up now - it's currently the second one down on their news page

[/ QUOTE ]
There's a great screen shot of this in the main AP BBV thread that shows the article with a big Absolute Poker banner over top. 'nuff said.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:43 AM

I don't think people are going to jump ship over this. A definite minority of games played there are effected by superusers, it has little real effect on the account balance of the typical user there.

I'd be interested in tracking the number playing at AP over the past few weeks. Anyone have these figures? I doubt there is or will be any decline.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:56 AM

Ok so there are superusers etc. As much as i would like AP fixed....

Do we really want the main stream getting in this?? seems like it gives massive bullest guns whatever to all the nay sayers about online poker.....
Old 10-19-2007, 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They do have an article up now - it's currently the second one down on their news page (Card Player News Page), and also visible from their front page.

Mind you, the article seems to take great pains to minimize things, stating that one tourney is being investigated for a potential security breach, at AP's request, AP has promised to give them a copy of the audit, etc.

There is no mention of 2+2, and both AP's statement and the KGC statement are printed in full.

Overall, it really comes across as a grudging acknowledgment that the story's too big to ignore, so they have to say something, but they'd rather the story just went away.

Cheers, Carl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just saw this myself. CP was unable to ignore this story any longer AND maintain any measure or credibility. I'm sure it will get only the smallest play on the site and maybe none in the magazine, maybe a short blurb. No in depth expose will be forthcoming. I really hope I'm wrong here, but I know the editorial track record and even though there has been a change in editors, the motives remain the same.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think people are going to jump ship over this. A definite minority of games played there are effected by superusers, it has little real effect on the account balance of the typical user there.

I'd be interested in tracking the number playing at AP over the past few weeks. Anyone have these figures? I doubt there is or will be any decline.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, just wow. You must be the most trusting person on the planet.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So don't expect this AP BS to get much industry reportage. More likely it will get none. Which always makes me wonder just how much scum flies below the radar.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are quite wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

He might be right actually. Card Player's $$$ agenda aside, this story is big in the poker circle only because we all have a stake in it (and those who play at Absolute have an even bigger stake in it), but compare this to other 'news' and it's barely on the radar.

Look at News site today and you'll see stories about a car bomb in Pakistan, a pervet getting caught in Thailand, the 2008 election...hell even Britney is getting front page articles in some cities. This Absolute story might, and that's a big might, get a few lines in the financial section if they're lucky.

Sorry about being a Debbie Downer, but try thinking outside the box. Try thinking how many people outside the poker world care, or are even aware, of crap like the UIGEA?
Old 10-19-2007, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people lose at poker, they expect to lose.

They expect to be cheated in small ways in whatever dealings they have with companies (such as nonsense fees from their bank etc.).

Unless they are being massively screwed, why should they particularly care?

And outside a few big dollar tournaments or very high stakes no superuser is going to waste their time cheating. I play AP cash games (not high limits) and I expect no superuser would ever bother with the games I play in. So why should I care?

Seriously, someone should check the number of players who continue to play at AP. I predict there will be no decline.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people lose at poker, they expect to lose.

They expect to be cheated in small ways in whatever dealings they have with companies (such as nonsense fees from their bank etc.).

Unless they are being massively screwed, why should they particularly care?

And outside a few big dollar tournaments or very high stakes no superuser is going to waste their time cheating. I play AP cash games (not high limits) and I expect no superuser would ever bother with the games I play in. So why should I care?

Seriously, someone should check the number of players who continue to play at AP. I predict there will be no decline.

[/ QUOTE ]

Majority of players are losers thats true but they don't expect to be cheated. They expect to lose fairly.

I agree that there will be no drastic cut in their traffic but more because the majority of recreational players don't know what has gone on and are playing in blissful ignorence.

I sincerely hope that AP has sorted their security issues and that this was a one off never to be repeated breach in security and trust.

If AP gets left with a tank full of fish then good players will go back to play. In fact I posted something along these lines recently.

I also don't agree that lower stakes would be free from a supposed superuser. Indeed, I think a clever superuser would be better off with lots of smaller winnings and slipping under the radar. Why the user was stupid enough to play like he did is what I find strange.