Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 09:52 PM

Default AK utg vs solid 3bettor......

Villain is a regular with 20/10 pre stats, and I assume solid.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($200)
Button ($82)
SB ($197)
BB ($527.80)
Hero ($242.80)
UTG+1 ($94.75)
MP1 ($415.70)
MP2 ($271.65)
MP3 ($225.05)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $24</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls $16.

Flop: ($51) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $36</font>, Hero calls $36.

<font color="blue"> Perhaps not the best flop....so good so far?...what is my plan going forward? I think I did OK- I am looking for your tentative plan for the rest of hand. </font>
Old 10-16-2007, 11:06 PM

Default Re: AK utg vs solid 3bettor......

Calling this 2/3 pot bet puts you at $123 in the pot with $195 left to bet.

What I don't want to happen on the turn is a blank comes off, you check, and either he checks (free card city) or goes all-in with a hand you can beat/tie {AQ, KK, QQ, AK}. If a K comes off it's probably the worst card for you and you only can win vs a bluff.

Any other card, I'm not sure I could find a fold and would like a "bet pot/call AI" best to prevent the free card and possibly get a call from AQ,QQ,KK. I'm worried about only JJ/TT (not AA so much as there's only one combo of it, or AJ/AT because those aren't 3bet hands in this situation) and you have the gutshot so there is some equity against the sets.

edit: If you are not willing to commit on the turn, I think you have to take a line that involves doing something different on the flop (c/f, b/f, or c/r ai). You'll get exploited left and right taking a check and see approach.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:02 AM

I like a flop raise here it defines your hand. "I has an Ace and I know you don't"

His most likely hands are
k/k
q/q
a/k

a K is the worst card in the deck for you since is going to give him trips, a straight, or top 2 as well for a split

Raise and try to end it here
Old 10-17-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise and try to end it here

[/ QUOTE ]
What if it doesnt end? If we raise the flop we are committed anyway, so shouldnt that be a shove in any case?

As played I would consider check turn and shove river if the turn was checked through (and no K drops). May be terrible of course, but it would be a way to get money out of KK/QQ/AQ.

3-bet preflop?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:33 PM

You can fold preflop against a 20/10 who doesn't get out of line much. Presumably your UTG raising range is really tight, he should / is likely only reraising KK+, AK. If you have more info than this another play could be considered (like call). If you've ever seen him 3bet a non-premium in this spot you can call.

Flop is fine, now call. Ck turn, try to get him to keep betting, presumably since we called pf he can have AQ here or JJ etc. Do whatever encourages the most bluffs and gets the most value from worse hands, which is presumably c-c, ck, bet river against most opponents.

Surf
Old 10-17-2007, 06:36 PM

i hate calling a 3bet with AK OOP tbh

when you flop good you aren't getting a lot of action from worse hands, and when you don't hit you fold the best hand too his cbet alot
Old 10-17-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3-bet preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]
(I assume you mean 4 bet?)

I had thought about that as the better move but was really waffling back and forth with mashing the flop

It might be the better move against this player if he shoves you have an easy fold &lt;pre flop&gt; if he calls just commit it all on the flop

The only reason I don't like a flop shove even though I want to end it cause I hate this board I'm still way ahead of his range (about 80/20) so a Call doesn't make me cry and I can shove a safe turn and pick up the rest of his stack when hes drawing slim

Checking and giving a free card sucks on this board imo
Old 10-17-2007, 10:44 PM

I am a little confused with AK. Before starting NL, I wouldnt have dreamed folding in theses spots. Then I decided that I shouln't be calling 3bets in this kind of spot with AK. THen I thought that was too weak as I thought TAGS would probably 3bet me with somethink like TT+, AQs, AK. I dont know, you are probably right.

I suppose you would rather have a hand like 88 in this spot to call a 3 bet? You would then have implied odds on a set vs big stacks......is that right?
Old 10-18-2007, 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume you mean 4 bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
I do [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
if he calls just commit it all on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]
you mean in case we 4bet and get called theres no exit left for us in any case? Would this really be an easy fold against a preflop shove?

I dont understand why giving a freecard is a problem here. It would also be getting a freecard as we have a gutshot. And a turnshove may fold out hands that would call a riverbet/rivershove.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:09 PM

Results:

Turn is a 2d and goes check-check. Rive is a 6d and goes check-bet $40, call $40. I think I probably should have put out a little blocking bet on the river.....but I was kind of lost.

I think the hardest thing for me in my travel from going from 6-max limit to 9-max NL....is embrassing the inner weak-tyte bitch....with out taking it too far.

Edit: and we split the pot each holding AKo.

I think in the future though, I have realized based on surf's post that I should be folding vs know solid/selective pf 3bettors.....I think.